Metal Shelving from Lowes

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
If you are worrying about flex, you could always put styrofoam insulation under the aquarium.
People typically use styrofoam under tanks to fill in tiny gaps between the top of a stand and the base of the tank. The thinking is that it'll prevent pressure points and create uniformed pressure on all areas of the base. Manufacturers disagrees, and will void a tanks' warranty if they find out you've done this. However, in the scenario with the metal rack flexing or contorting, styrofoam/padding will not be of any benefit.....it'll make matters worse if anything.

Reactions: CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
People typically use styrofoam under tanks to fill in tiny gaps between the top of a stand and the base of the tank. The thinking is that it'll prevent pressure points and create uniformed pressure on all areas of the base. Manufacturers disagrees, and will void a tanks' warranty if they find out you've done this. However, in the scenario with the metal rack flexing or contorting, styrofoam/padding will not be of any benefit.....it'll make matters worse if anything.
yeah i don't trust the metal shelving. I think that building a stand is the best option. You are right that styrofoam might make things worse. I only use styrofoam on wood stands that have full support for the bottom of the tank. The floor is not perfectly level in the old house. I use shims to level the stand the best i can, but i still use styrofoam to fill the gaps between the top of the stand and the bottom of the tank like you said.

Reactions: Lawlboom
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store