Mike's 45 gallon planted tank, continuation of my 30 gallon

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Well I finally caved in earlier than expected... I just ordered a co2 regulator w/ solenoid... On the 3rd I'll hit a local liquor store that sells co2 tanks, I'll be getting a 10lb aluminum cylinder/tank and they always just swap out empty co2 tanks for a filled one for $13... So the tanks going to be awesome!!!!!

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
The co2 regulator is on the way, then I'll get the 10lb aluminum cylinder on the 3rd... Then the tank will be torn down, and overhauled with a new hard scape with new driftwood pieces in the scape!!!

All of the plants are doing very well, especially the Jungle Vals with one of them have a couple 2.5' (yes that's 2 1/2 foot long) stalks growing from it lol!!! Plus by tearing down the tank, and setting it back will give me a chance to clean the hair algae from the plants... With the addition of co2 injection it will also help to combat the algae issues I've been going through for the past couple of months...

Here's why co2 helps to control algae... Co2 itself does nothing against fighting algae, BUT when aquarium plants are in a tank with a good co2 injection system the co2 speeds up plant growth. So what the co2 does is enhances the growth in a plant, and by "speeding" up the plants growth means the plant uses more nutrients in order to keep up with continued growth that's happening.

Also just for no reason I'll let you know how algae starts lol....

Algae starts of as spores, these spores are present in ALL water no matter what kind of water it is. Algae spores feed only on ammonia (NH4), once it's formed into algae then it feeds on BOTH nitrate (NO3) and photphates (PO4)... This is why using a good dechlorinator for setting up a tank, and when doing water changes...

I will only use Tetra SafeStart for my tanks, it starts working immediately to make water aquarium safe and you can't kill a fish it... Believe me I've tried, I put a gold fish in a 5 gallon bucket and dumped a complete 8.45oz bottle of SafeStart in the bucket with the gold fish. I let it sit for 48 hours and the fish survived with no ill effects!!!

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
I ordered some glycerin for the co2 bubble counter because it doesn't evaporate like water does, and glycerin slows the bubbles for a more accurate count... On the 3rd I'll be ordering some new tubing for my SunSun 302 canister filter that's currently on my 30 gallon tank, because I plan to swap out the canister filters between my 30 gallon and 45 gallon tanks.

The reason is because I already made a Rex Griggs style co2 reactor a few years ago, so I plan to break it back out for this tank since it gives 100% co2 dissolved saturation for my tank so no wasted co2!!!

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
So co2 has too wait 1 more month lol, had to lend someone some money but next month co2 tank for sure!!!! I have everything but an aluminum co2 cylinder, regulator w/ bubble counter check, glycerin for bubble counter check, permaseal check, brass air check valve check, co2 inline diffuser check, co2 resistant tubing check!!!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store