Mini marbled Motori vs hystrix

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
My female hystrix was about 12" or so; the male around 9". IIRC I sold my hystrix pups for $200-300. It seems hystrix are much harder to find these day.

To the OP, what size tank do you have? And do you have pictures of the rays available to you?

Reese11

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2012
New jersey
Hystrix rays will probably stay smaller than mini marbles and if you ever plan on breeding them, hystrix pups will sell for about twice as much. I think it pretty much comes down to personal preference, but if I were in your shoes, I would get the hystrix.
I disagree, maybe compared to the farmed minis but the good quality minis are way more expensive than any hystrix. A lot hardier and when comparing size the difference is minimal tbh. If hystrix get 13” minis get 14”. To be fair though the farmed minis are trash

flyingsaucer owner

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2005
England
I keep / breed both and can’t fault either of them.
Hystrix more than make up for their lack of bright colours with their boisterous characters.
Plus they have a deep high set body shape that you don’t see in most other rays, except for the black rays.
Mini marbles are one of the most beautiful rays IMO & stay at size that most people can manage to keep in captivity unlike most other motoro.
Regarding which one is more hardy, I’ve found both to be very similar.
Both are easily pellet trained.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I disagree, maybe compared to the farmed minis but the good quality minis are way more expensive than any hystrix. A lot hardier and when comparing size the difference is minimal tbh. If hystrix get 13” minis get 14”. To be fair though the farmed minis are trash
They are farming minis now???

What country are you from?

I see people on here talking about selling Hystrix for over $500 - I can't sell my captive bred minis for $400.

Maybe we should all agree to disagree..... lmfao.

Reese11

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2012
New jersey
They are farming minis now???

What country are you from?

I see people on here talking about selling Hystrix for over $500 - I can't sell my captive bred minis for $400.

Maybe we should all agree to disagree..... lmfao.
I know people selling good quality minis for 1500 and actually selling them. I’ve found it’s more about your audience and the amount of people viewing your threads and posts about selling. Also quality matters. There’s many generic minis that all look relatively the same and then there’s lower grade and higher grade. Hystrix are selling high right now because of popularity. People started learning about them more recently and are buying them more. As for farming minis, most all ray species and hybrids are farmed and have been for decades. Just a year ago when I was searching for minis, my local store here in the states brought in a batch of 40-50 minis from Thailand. Low grade and low price, 300 each. Then I saw good ones from Richard Hardwick and some select other breeders that clearly know the quality levels. The issue here is no one wants to pay for the quality and only looking to spend bottom dollar price. Also more people breed minis than hystrix so it’s also about availability

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Someone is actually selling minis for over 3k a pair and people tell me $400 is too much?!??!! That's ironic, comical and sad all at the same time. Wanna know the punchline????? Its that when someone ponies up for the $3K/pair of knockouts this hobby still expects those pups to be sold for $300. LMFAO.

Are these fancy rays made here in the USA or they just more imports? Or are they like Toyotas where they are made here in the US with imported parts?

Given the day and age we live in I don't doubt any of it. Quality now is likely based on "likes" or followers as its just too difficult for people to think for themselves these days. News flash - some of the old timers that are busting their azzes in the fishroom don't give 2 shnits about cell phones or social media. These are the same people keeping certain aspects of this hobby alive - like breeding generations of pure rays. These are the guys that have no desire to compete with social media or deal with people of this nature and therefore have and are leaving the hobby.

This hobby is no different then American tax dollars....... Money goes to the wrong people - then we get upset when there's less then desirable results.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store