Missing skin on my Piranha.

Michael2006*

Feeder Fish
Apr 29, 2016
So I just noticed tonight my Piranha was missing skin on one side of his face. Any ideas what may have caused it? Or how to treat it? Thanks for any advice.20160429_001513.jpg

Atfownz

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
Here
Isn't that hith? Man I hope you can treat that pygo asap.. it looks really bad imho.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Welcome to MFK:) How often do you check your water parameters, also what is your wc schedule.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
What's the tank size, fish size, tank mate species and size and water change schedule?
I've used waterlife Octozin, very effective against hith.

Michael2006*

Feeder Fish
Apr 29, 2016
What's the tank size, fish size, tank mate species and size and water change schedule?
I've used waterlife Octozin, very effective against hith.
Tank size is a 75 gallon. Only other fish that go in their is feeding goldfish. He is probably 10 to 11 inches long. I just changed the water last month. Normally drain about 6 inches out every couple months and add fresh.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Tank size is a 75 gallon. Only other fish that go in their is feeding goldfish. He is probably 10 to 11 inches long. I just changed the water last month. Normally drain about 6 inches out every couple months and add fresh.

Do more frequent wc's or your piranha won't start healing even with the meds. If you don't have a test kit purchase one. Btw we are just trying to help you so the piranha will live more years.:)

Reactions: Michael2006*

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Sorry, I don't mean to sound blunt but you need to be doing weekly water changes of at least 50 percent, that's just regular maintenance for a well stocked tank, most experienced members on here do fin level water changes weekly.
feeding live as a staple shouldn't be goldfish as they are fatty if that's what your doing, the risk of disease is massive buying feeders, you should breed your own, convicts or molly's would be better.
Not sure if it's the metro in the product I said but it's the only med I'm aware of that works, waterlife Octozin..
I have no doubt that your wc schedule and possibly diet has caused this pal.
Try to get him on frozen fish.
Read up on here via the search bar about nitrate creep and water changes.
Goodluck. Justin.

Last edited:

Michael2006*

Feeder Fish
Apr 29, 2016
Sorry, I don't mean to sound blunt but you need to be doing weekly water changes of at least 50 percent, that's just regular maintenance for a well stocked tank, most experienced members on here do fin level water changes weekly.
feeding live as a staple shouldn't be goldfish as they are fatty if that's what your doing, the risk of disease is massive buying feeders, you should breed your own, convicts or molly's would be better.
Not sure if it's the metro in the product I said but it's the only med I'm aware of that works, waterlife Octozin..
I have no doubt that your wc schedule and possibly diet has caused this pal.
Try to get him on frozen fish.
Read up on here via the search bar about nitrate creep and water changes.
Goodluck. Justin.
Thanks for the information. I will check into all of that.

Reactions: justarn

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Also I would do 20% wc every 2 days (use prime/tap safe) for a week before doing a big 50+% change as it may shock him (also match new water temp to tanks water with your hand), I would think your nitrate reading will be in the 100's, get a api test kit and aim for below 10ppm pal.
Give the gravel a good clean out Aswell and clean your filter media bi monthly in tank water, if you wash it under the tap you will kill all your good bacteria and crash the tank...
Just trying to cover everything for you as I'm unsure how much you know mate!-)

Reactions: Michael2006*
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store