Monster 16-Pound Bass Caught in California

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
When did this attitude change toward the musky start?....nevermind.I'm feeling a little like I'm Ben Carson here.
LOL. I think there's always been that group of people who don't like them because they think they kill all the Bass. Just like the people who think Suckers eat each and every Trout egg. Both accusations are, of course, insanely false, and have been proven so through numerous research and studies.

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
LOL. I think there's always been that group of people who don't like them because they think they kill all the Bass. Just like the people who think Suckers eat each and every Trout egg. Both accusations are, of course, insanely false, and have been proven so through numerous research and studies.
I know of a lot of FB folks that shoot buffalo because they think they are hurting the creek they live in. Most folks have no idea how these creeks work, how the fish get in there, how they move up or down stream. I have yet to see buffalo ruin a creek around here. Suckers are killed as well and they use the term fertilizer, they think they are doing good by their own eyes but what they actually do is take away from other fishermen who enjoy catching and releasing those fish. Last year I busted my *** trying to catch this big gar in a creek in Ohio, I had her on several times but she always shook me off. My GF and I go back the next weekend like we always do, I spot a guy on top of the rock we usually fish on with a bow, he was bow fishing. He didn't get anything while we were there but he talked us, he then proceeded to ask what we were fishing for and I said gar and he said oh I hate them things, I kill them all, carp too. I told him I was trying to catch a big gar in this hole and he said three days ago I shot a huge gar on top of that rock, he showed me a photo, there she was, dead, with an arrow thru her and he said he tossed her in his garden to be used as fertilizer. What a waste of a fish all because he hates them. But since bow fishing is legal and I assume he is properly licensed, what can I say? I know whats in that hole and the rest were small gar, this one turned out to be an almost 5 foot gar, for a creek many miles from a river. She was in there for some time and now shes not. So after a heavy rain I always go back and look for some more gar that move in, if nothing then I go searching for buffalo, commons and red horses. I have no problem with bow fishing but some folks take it to the extreme and just shoot everything they see, the main reason because its extremely easy, especially in a creek. There are many other invasives like silver/bigheads that you can shoot all day long but why wipe out a small creek like that. I see so many carp, buffalos, gar, suckers and I think to myself if I had a bow, these fish are within feet of me is shallow water and I can take anyone I choose too. I can wipe out this entire section of the creek in one day or less. But I choose the other route and catch and release them. Much more satisfaction seeing a fish swim away rather than tossing it on the bank thinking I'm helping out the ecosystem because I think I'm smarter than the ecosystem and mother nature. These carp, suckers and buffalo help keep that creek going, when the water isn't moving much them carp keep busy foraging for food, stirring up the bottom release food for other fish and then food for the bigger fish. If all those fish are gone eventually any fish in that hole will die, it's a small chain of events that takes place that not many folks sit back and think about.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
This again is why I don't like to have a conversation with you, your posts rarely ever make sense. You just made a statement that goldfish are an important forage fish, that's promoting goldfish as being important, how do you expect other to take that when someone that works supposedly for state tells everyone that? If I'm talking to my local game warden and he tells me goldfish are an important forage fish for our musky, that tells me something and others as well and it's not rocket science what it is. Or if he tells me that cats are an important food for yotes, does that mean we should just let all our cats run wild only because the yotes will eat them? No.... Stop and think about what you write for a moment.....

And again, I'm NOT shoving carp down your throat, did I say that in any of my posts? When I speak of trash fish that you refer to them as, I'm speaking about the whole misconception of the trash fish talk, it doesn't just stop at carp, its gar, musky, etc. I don't care what you don't like, doesn't bother me in the least bit but spreading around lies that any fish are trash fish, especially someone working for the state, I would be embarrassed if that was me. You definitely need to be educated.

If what I say aren't facts then prove it. Most opinions are useless, (if not all) as they don't state fact or fiction, opinions are just something we come up with when we really can't figure out if it's the truth or false, real or fake, quick judgments with no supporting facts, etc.
No you just got butthurt when I called your favorite carp, a trashfish. Why would a conservationist promote a common carp as a sportfish? In this state, they are considering as a highly invasive species. And I think you're a little nutty after when you made a crazy assumption that I promoted goldfish as a important forage fish for the metro lakes. They just happens to be available for these big fish and they're commonly consumed by predatory fishes. The state wants goldfish to be gone.

You assumed it that I called every roughfish a trashfish which it's not true. I often go after drums, bullheads and suckers. But you didn't see me to call them trashfish.

But you always get upset when someone say something negative about the common carps and it's really silly for you to get upset over someone's opinions and some facts about common carps on the internet.

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
No you just got butthurt when I called your favorite carp, a trashfish. Why would a conservationist promote a common carp as a sportfish? In this state, they are considering as a highly invasive species. And I think you're a little nutty after when you made a crazy assumption that I promoted goldfish as a important forage fish for the metro lakes. They just happens to be available for these big fish and they're commonly consumed by predatory fishes. The state wants goldfish to be gone.

You assumed it that I called every roughfish a trashfish which it's not true. I often go after drums, bullheads and suckers. But you didn't see me to call them trashfish.

But you always get upset when someone say something negative about the common carps and it's really silly for you to get upset over someone's opinions and some facts about common carps on the internet.
And again for the 3rd time, you make absolutely no sense whatsoever. I called you out on many things and then you just come back around and act like you never said it even though you did. Why do you like the word butthurt so much? What are you 5?

Yea and I explained what a so called trash fish, you go after those fish, you want to catch those fish so why would they be trash fish to you? The fish you don't want to catch or are annoying to you are what you blatantly call trash fish which are carp. I have already explained this but I just explained it again for you and I'm sure it's not the last time.

You said last night that goldfish are an important forage food for musky, did you not? Or did I misread what you typed? Why would anyone say they are important when they are considered invasive? They are not important, they are just another fish that a musky can eat, that's it, that's all. They are not important and they don't belong there, what's important to musky are what they are used to eating for many years, not what someone release several years ago. I don't care where the lake is, in the forest, in the city, metro, etc. they are not important. An important forage fish for musky is one that the state helps to keep there for a good musky lake like we have here in KY. We don't say goldfish are important for our musky.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Yes goldfish is important forage fish for the metro predatory fishes, it's mostly consumed in these metro lakes. Just like zebra mussels are main diet for freshwater drums and pumpkinseeds in few lakes. But no one is promoting the invasive species as important forage, they just happens to be important diet in these particular lakes. You just like to twisting up the facts, Jason.

The reason why I said butthurt is because you acts like that when I labelled carps as trashfish. You won't give up on that and you continued to attack my personal opinion on the carps as trashfish. Why you get worked up so much over a silly personal opinion on the carps?

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
You should see how they treated northern pikes and smallmouth bass, they just didn't like them because they're eating "walleye fingerlings".

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
In this state, they are considering as a highly invasive species.
I'm not denying that common carp are an invasive species as they most certainly are, but what specific effects are they having on native species in Minnesota? I know around here in western PA the worst they do is stir up water when the bottom is silty, but that also kicks up food items for mid level feeders like Lepomis and Crappie in the process. One day at my local lake when the water was clear I was able to observe a large 30"+ Common Carp with half a dozen or so White Suckers beside it all grazing on the bottom while a school of 20 plus Sunfish followed waiting for their free meal, it was a perfect example of commensalism and there was even an invasive species involved. I'm not saying that local waters benefit from carp and we'd be much better off if they were never introduced in to North American waters, but of all the invasive species (at least locally), common carp have had some of the least negative effect compared to species such as the Sea Lamprey which is responsible for much of the reason that Lake Trout and Burbot in Lake Erie have such a low survival rate when their (the Lamprey's) population is higher than usual. We must also face the facts that unless in the future there is some sort of "high-tech-individual-species-tracking-laser", common carp will most likely be present in North America for the rest of the Earth's existence in the current form that the continents are in. We may be able to decrease numbers in certain waters but they'll always be here. The same goes unfortunately for Round Gobies and most likely Asian Carp, although with enough netting we may be able to at least decrease the Asian Carp population at some point. My point in these last few statements is to make the best of our current situation. Since common carp aren't going away we may as well enjoy fishing for them and take pleasure in knowing that they are helping other species find food. Since round gobies aren't completely going away we should realize that (ONLY) in the areas they are found in the Great Lakes they can make great bait for certain fish, though I still would highly deter bait stores from selling them. They're also a favorite among Drum and Sturgeon which are growing to tremendous sizes based on a diet of them. Should we try to get rid of these invasives if it is ever possible? Yes. But for now we just need to stop them from spreading more and do what we can to preserve the native species living among them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frank Castle

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Overpopulated in many lakes and few river systems which often leads to massive die-offs especially in winters when the oxygen levels gets lower. Not that uncommon occurrence. When you have too many fish that a lake cannot sustain all of them, they used up all oxygen and it killed the whole fish community other than bullheads. Many lakes are still recovering from massive fish die-offs or a massive carp removal. We did noticed an improvement in these lakes with much healthier community and even the endangered fish species are making a comeback. We are still working on the bullhead lakes (we called bullhead lakes when it's only one fish that survived from massive die-offs) and stocking native fishes in them.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Overpopulated in many lakes and few river systems which often leads to massive die-offs especially in winters when the oxygen levels gets lower. Not that uncommon occurrence. When you have too many fish that a lake cannot sustain all of them, they used up all oxygen and it killed the whole fish community other than bullheads. Many lakes are still recovering from massive fish die-offs or a massive carp removal. We did noticed an improvement in these lakes with much healthier community and even the endangered fish species are making a comeback. We are still working on the bullhead lakes (we called bullhead lakes when it's only one fish that survived from massive die-offs) and stocking native fishes in them.
So similar to what happens in northern lakes with introduced Gizzard Shad every spring then. Thanks for the info. I know carp reproduce fast but I've honestly never seen any of my local lakes with dead carp on the shore, I suppose that's just luck though.

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
I think my cat pays more attention to what I say than you do.

Anyways.....

MN must have the worst population of carp in the US, if not the world. I've never heard of so many die offs and everything you say about carp.

One would think in Europe with all the carp over there they would have the same problems as MN has. Seems like with all those over populated carp in MN they would have a kill on site, but they don't as they can be returned legally back into the same waters.

Why are common carp a regulated invasive species? Why aren't they a prohibited species? If common carp are so bad, why aren't they doing more about it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store