Monster 16-Pound Bass Caught in California

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
If you are convinced AND he has video of the fish then that is good enough for me...I just thought that those things that I pointed out beared questioning.
He has his hand on the gill plate which is totally unnecessary for fish that can be easily lipped. Why run the risk of touching the gills when you can put your damn thumb in their mouth ??? I hate it when people do that. Learn to handle a fish properly or unhook them in the water.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
He has his hand on the gill plate which is totally unnecessary for fish that can be easily lipped. Why run the risk of touching the gills when you can put your damn thumb in their mouth ??? I hate it when people do that. Learn to handle a fish properly or unhook them in the water.
It looked as if he was about ready to tear out the fish's mouth from underneath.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I did not read the link so I do not know what it said.I was only interested in the photo.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
So similar to what happens in northern lakes with introduced Gizzard Shad every spring then. Thanks for the info. I know carp reproduce fast but I've honestly never seen any of my local lakes with dead carp on the shore, I suppose that's just luck though.
Did you see/hear about the "Zombie" Alligator die-off they had down south caused by high-levels of certain chemicals found in fish? Long story short, after years of farming and agriculture, run-off was changing the PH and chemistry of the water of local lakes, and eventually most of the fish died off except a few species, one of which I think happened to be the Gizzard Shad which had large amounts of a chemical in it's body, naturally (Iodine or Iodide or tyrosine or something like that ) and the Gators ate exclusively these fish and were suffering from an overdose on w/e chemical was present in these fish they were eating.

All in all, it was all our fault lol figures. Humans seem to ruin everything we touch sometimes.

Why don't we take Europe's example and hire commercial fishermen to do the same thing here?....and dead fish left on the bank benefits the wildlife,no?
Yes and No. The dead fish DO benefit the wildlife who scavenge and take easy meals, but I have to wonder just like Humans, how much can they actually eat before the PCBs, Mercury and other contaminants begin affecting hem as well. As stated, smell and being unsightly are of course a concern, however the decaying fish certainly add nutrients back into the soil, water, etc.....the issue is that TOO MUCH at once will eventually become toxic and pollute more than it helps. It has to be small amounts frequently and in moderation, large amounts at once = bad

We do have commercial fisherman who specifically target Bottom-Feeders, the show ironically called "Bottom Feeders" airs on Sportman's channel and Outdoor channel. That is how they make their living.

Last edited:

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Did you see/hear about the "Zombie" Alligator die-off they had down south caused by high-levels of certain chemicals found in fish? Long story short, after years of farming and agriculture, run-off was changing the PH and chemistry of the water of local lakes, and eventually most of the fish died off except a few species, one of which I think happened to be the Gizzard Shad which had large amounts of a chemical in it's body, naturally (Iodine or Iodide or tyrosine or something like that ) and the Gators ate exclusively these fish and were suffering from an overdose on w/e chemical was present in these fish they were eating.

All in all, it was all our fault lol figures. Humans seem to ruin everything we touch sometimes.

Yes and No. The dead fish DO benefit the wildlife who scavenge and take easy meals, but I have to wonder just like Humans, how much can they actually eat before the PCBs, Mercury and other contaminants begin affecting hem as well. As stated, smell and being unsightly are of course a concern, however the decaying fish certainly add nutrients back into the soil, water, etc.....the issue is that TOO MUCH at once will eventually become toxic and pollute more than it helps. It has to be small amounts frequently and in moderation, large amounts at once = bad

We do have commercial fisherman who specifically target Bottom-Feeders, the show ironically called "Bottom Feeders" airs on Sportman's channel and Outdoor channel. That is how they make their living.
I didn't hear about it but it doesn't surprise me, humans really do ruin everything we try to "improve" in nature from wild Brook Trout streams to rivers full of Redhorse.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Why don't we take Europe's example and hire commercial fishermen to do the same thing here?....and dead fish left on the bank benefits the wildlife,no?
I didn't hear about it but it doesn't surprise me, humans really do ruin everything we try to "improve" in nature from wild Brook Trout streams to rivers full of Redhorse.
http://brigitteviellieudavis.com/2011/08/zombie-alligators-biodiversity/

I was wrong, it was Thiamine-OD

Last edited:

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Gizzard shads can be bad sometimes, especially when most of them get too big and overcrowding lakes/ponds. Thankfully their cold intolerance keep them in checking and many catfish and pikes are feeding on winterkill shads.

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL

One of those lakes you're talking about is a HUGE lake. Called lake apopka. For the past 10ish years now they have been stocking that lake with 100 thousand sunshine bass fingerlings annually. If you look back in its history lake apopka was a huge destination for largemouth and sunshine bass much like okechobee is now.

The muck farming practices of flooding the field to fertilize it and then drain back into the lake did exactly this. FL now has a program that is regular anglers can be paid (atleast the last I read) to catch and kill gizzard shad from that lake.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store