Most efficient water pump?

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Folks,
What's the most electricity-efficient external in-line water pump?
I'm resetting my 100gal on the balcony and want to plumb a 10gallon industrial mayonnaise bucket-filter down into space underneath. Might use a 55gal drum instead, but I'll see what I can find with a good sealing lid. My issue is that electricity is reeeeeealy expensive on this island- thus I'm looking for the maximum flow per watt.
I'm thinking that maybe 50-100gal/hr should be fine.
Thanks in advance,
Andrew

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Laguna Max Flo. I have two and like them. Also the DC powered pumps are good choices. I have two Speedwave.

100 GPH is mighty low flow even for a bowl.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Wow- 32 Watts for 600GPH is a whole lot better than my assorted MarineLand bits and Frankenstein's filter-systems. That'll pay for itself toot-sweet.
As a submersible, it'll be a headache to mount without taking up tank-space, though. Any thoughts on in-line externals that I scan screw to the wall?
Are submersibles generally the better/more efficient option these days? That's different form what I remember...
A

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
Squirtle needs to get his ass in here. Last time I had a pump question he was all over it. That's partly what led me to the Laguna pumps. He knows a lot more though. Hopefully he shows up, otherwise it's worth PMing him.

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Wow- 32 Watts for 600GPH is a whole lot better than my assorted MarineLand bits and Frankenstein's filter-systems. That'll pay for itself toot-sweet.
As a submersible, it'll be a headache to mount without taking up tank-space, though. Any thoughts on in-line externals that I scan screw to the wall?
Are submersibles generally the better/more efficient option these days? That's different form what I remember...
A

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
http://www.marsh-reef.org/marine-and-reef-general-discussion/37588-speedwave-dc3000-pump.html

Oh, yes... winner!
Mr. Amazon, it's Christmastime!

To clarify: This would be OK for a 100Gal long & tall? I tend to run this tank on one Marineland mid-size canister, a tiny bubbler, 2x smallish powerheads and a LOT of plants & various filtering shrimp & clams. Heaps of water-flow & functional biota, but particulates only removed by the canister (and MTS snails). The recent re-set-up gets a lot more sunshine & wife wants pretty "oats" sand (Halimeda algae) so I likely won't be able to get away with that again.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Ive heard good things about jabeao. I had mixed feelings. Anything that sounds too good to be true probably is. lets face it customer service in the far far east is often less than pleasing.

I settled on a mag 9.5 over the jabeao. Which is just about the least efficient pump i know of. But hey my house is cold 100 watts @950 gph has to make some heat atleast. lol . Running costs are high but if the pump lasts a few years I think ill come out alright.

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
Just wanna share my experience with jebao customer service...
I ordered a dc12000 pump from them on a Sunday night. It arrived Tuesday, but wasn't working. I emailed them Tuesday night to inform them. Wednesday morning I had an email asking for a video showing it not working. Wednesday evening I took and sent the video. Thursday morning I had an email saying they were sending a new pump. Saturday the new pump arrived in perfect working order. I didn't even have to send the defective one back... Yes it was a nuisance that the first one didn't work, but I honestly can't say I've ever had less hassle getting a replacement through the mail. Really can't fault them!!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Reactions: Danh

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
Ive heard good things about jabeao. I had mixed feelings. Anything that sounds too good to be true probably is. lets face it customer service in the far far east is often less than pleasing.

I settled on a mag 9.5 over the jabeao. Which is just about the least efficient pump i know of. But hey my house is cold 100 watts @950 gph has to make some heat atleast. lol . Running costs are high but if the pump lasts a few years I think ill come out alright.
I've been running a Jebao DC9000 for about 2 months now. No problems the thing is dead silent super easy to use thanks to the adjustable flow rate via electronic controller. I'm currently flowing close to 1200 gal/hr "6ft head" at only 50% pumping power which on my UPS reads only drawing 37 watts which is incredible. I have a 1 1/4" drain full open and a small half inch drain about 3/4 of the way open in which i'm using as a rough estimate for my flow rate.
I'm switching all my sumps to DC pumps and picking up extras just because they are cheap enough that I'd rather have an extra then have to deal with warranty.

I wanted to try one semi long term before I bought more then one.

for any application needing up to 2000 gal / hr I think the Jebao DC pumps are a really good efficient solution.

Reactions: Danh
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store