Most Hardy Ray

G8zzaj

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 11, 2022
Are there a particular freshwater ray that is hardier than others?

My LFS is saying the pearl ray is the most Hardy and a much better option than the BD?

Is this true?

Reactions: tlindsey

oldfish

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2005
Beavercreek Ohio
I don't think there is much difference between motoros, marbles, pearls, or BDs as far as how hardy they are. It makes a lot of difference from where you buy it. Often buying from breeder is best and local breeder is even better. Be careful buying from your LFS. Make sure it is fat, healthy and feeding well before you buy.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Are there a particular freshwater ray that is hardier than others?

My LFS is saying the pearl ray is the most Hardy and a much better option than the BD?

Is this true?
I have kept many of each and I find that Leo’s can be a bit more sensitive to certain fluctuations in water conditions. Some are just more sensitive than others.

example- out of a batch of 8 pups I received from a 30 min trip in a tote- 3-4 came in with ammonia burns and had troubles eating at first. The rest were fine and ate pellets right away.

pearls seem to be fairly hardy. Unless you are dealing with morphs like albino or platinum. In which case they are much higher mortality rate when young.

motoros seem to be the most hardy in my experience. I have seen lots of noob ray keepers that have no idea what they are doing keep them alive way longer than you would expect.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store