Motaguense with bad gill will it heal?

fernie831

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2015
CA
Got home from work and found that my female mota has one of her gills hanging. It doesn't seem to bother her she is very active breathing and eating normal. Will it heal or stay permanent?

.... Hard to get a real good pic she won't stay still

image.jpg

image.jpeg

MP_cichlid

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2015
Connecticut
Looks like she just got nipped or something, I think it should b fine as long as you keep an eye on it, add some aquarium salt and maybe Melafix but wait for some other replies too!

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
keep the water pristine,. and should heal up fine.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
should be fine, good clean water and fish heal pretty quick, I do fin level every week myself and throw a 50% in in between every few weeks to beat the creep down.

professa19

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
Relatively new to SA/CA cichlids... Beautiful cichlid, are those relatively rare? Have never seen one before and i've been to a hell of a lot of fish stores...

Reactions: convict360

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
They are not rare, but are not usually found in LFSs, unless someone in your area has a spawning pair, or has turned an adult in, after it killed everything else in the tank.
They are commonly available thru any of the respected on-line Central American vendors often seen and mentioned in posts on MFK.
They are not a community cichlid, unless your tank is in the hundreds of gal size.
male

female

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store