Mouth Fungus on Arowana?

Aeroarowana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2015
Hey guys, can you guys look at these pictures, and tell me if this is mouth fungus on my arowana? I just want to make sure, at first I thought he injured himself by leaping. Sorry for the bad camera angles, and the light.
IMG_0558.JPG IMG_0560.JPG IMG_0561.JPG IMG_0564.JPG IMG_0566.JPG

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I can't be sure from the pictures, however if you have sapre tank methylene blue is a good choice for fungus and minor injuries.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Nice looking jar , does look like mouth fungus probably caused by either running on glass or knocking it against something , clean water , aquarium salt and melafix will help to heal it up , or as Tom has mentioned spare tank and treat with methylene blue (I've personally never used this but I know a lot of mfk's have with great results )
Good luck with it whatever road you choose , hope it clears up quickly for you

Aeroarowana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2015
Yeah I just put him in a 20 gallons tank today, I used Melafix. I heard that Melafix doesn't work, so I was worried. I will try to get some methylene blue, and I hope this fungus goes away.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
If you are going to use methylene blue, dose one teaspoon per ten gallons of water. You can also use four tablespoons of aquarium salt per twenty gallons of water with it. Do a 50% water change, wait one hour after adding any water treatments such as prime, safe etc before adding MB. You can dose MB every other day for up to 10 days with a 25% water change between doses. Methylene blue is very forgiving so exact dosage isn't critical, it's mild but very effective for a number of maladies. Remember no carbon in the hospital tank it will remove the MB.

Aeroarowana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2015
Ok, thank you! I can't seem to find any methylene blue at my local pet store. Do you have any suggestion where to get some. Also a question, after I use the methylene blue, do I need to change the water? If so how long do I wait for the methylene blue to kick in, before changing the water?

Aeroarowana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2015
Hey, while I was watching him swim in the hospital tank today. I saw him pooping out of his mouth, like throwing up black sting like poops. Is this suppose to be normal or....?

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
No that is defiantly not normal. I'm not sure what it is either. What are you feeding it? Have you wormed it? Can you get a clear picture?

Aeroarowana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2015
Well, I haven't feed him anything since he has the fungus on his mouth. And he seem like not accepting food. I don't know if these pictures are clear enough, but you can see some black string like poop. (The black ball thingy is peat moss for lowering the PH level, from my filter, that got left there). Here are the pictures IMG_0225.JPG IMG_0226.JPG IMG_0227.JPG
It look like poop, but it came from the fish's mouth....

Aeroarowana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2015
My theory is that he try to eat his poop, but spit it out. I was on my computer at that time, then look over and saw him throwing up poop.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store