Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

Moving a 20" Arowana ?

Discussion in 'Arowanas' started by Andri Pogo, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Andri Pogo

Andri Pogo MFK Members

Apr 25, 2014
      Im getting a 20" Black Arowana.
      I have never moved such a big fish before so i got a little worried about how i should go at picking it up :confused:
      The biggest "moving box" I have is a square plastic container with a lid thats 20x14x16" (lengthxwidthxheight)
      Do you think it would freak out or should it be ok for the 20min drive?
      Also, since its a beautiful & rare fish out here i would like to get it out of the tank with the least chance of damaging fins and scales. Would a pillow case or a plastic bag treat it better than a large net ?

All advice welcome, Thanks!

2. Angler

Angler MFK Members

Dec 6, 2014
      Bderick just moved his two large Silvers into another tank. I think he used a bag.

I'm sure he will chime in w/ some advice.

3. Westie

Westie MFK Members

Jul 21, 2015
      Use 2 huge nets, 1 at either side and close them up. Also, make sure your container has a locking lid. This is usually a 2 person job. And, be careful for all 3 your sakes.

4. Chaitika

Chaitika MFK Leaders
      Staff Member

Gerry
      Jun 4, 2015
      I use a doubled-up shipping bag to move my RTG. Dunk the shipping bag into the half-drained tank and semi-submerge with the mouth of the bag open wide. You can either try to guide the aro into the bag or what I do is use the bag to slowly capture the aro at one end of the tank.

He will not be pleased once he realizes he's been trapped so you'll want to make sure you move relatively quickly.

Try to remove a lot of the water from the double-bag before lifting out of the tank, otherwise you will have a hard time lifting it out. You can always add water to the bag once he is clear of the tank. I would place the double-bag in the container you refer to and move him that way. You will need him in the bag to land him in the new tank, so I wouldn't even bother taking him out of the bag. Seal the inner bag up and trap lots of air in it before you tie it off. Then tie off the outer bag. You'll be good to go. :)

5. David R

David R MFK Members

Jul 12, 2015
      I've used big plastic containers with locking lids to move large fish before and they work well. Not sure how the fish will react if it can't straighten itself out with out touching the ends of the container though, you might want to get something a bit bigger.

6. Bderick67

Bderick67 MFK Members

Brian
      Yesterday at 6:31 PM
      For a 20" black aro a large bag works great, for 27" silver aros the bag method is a little more difficult. I would not recommend using nets, arowana have a knack for climbing out of them plus I've seen nets damage eyes and barbels.

Coleman coolers work very well for moving large fish greater distances.

7. PetZoneSanDiego

PetZoneSanDiego M.A.N. Community Vendor

Roger
      Jul 3, 2015
      You would definitely need a large bag to transport this guy, you maybe able to get one from a LFS. We have helped out quite a few customers with large transport bags and styrofoam boxes so ask nicely and they may hook you up :)

8. justonemoretank

justonemoretank MFK Members

May 8, 2010
      I used one of these boxes to move a two-footer, and he died. He beat the crap out of himself when we put him in. He calmed down during the drive, but the point at which he was put in, and the lid placed on, was heart-wrenching. I would not move this fish in this way. Bags, definitely.

9. MeAko

MeAko MFK Members

Apr 18, 2014
      I agree, nets and aros are not a good match. Drain as much water from the tank as possible and always transport in a bag not in a container.

10. carcrazy

carcrazy MFK Members

Jan 15, 2012
      I also use a coleman container to transport large fish. It keeps the heat in for those cold winter days we have up here in Canuck land. I drilled a hole in the lid to feed an airline through so I could use a battery operated airpod/air stone. I have a 2 hr+ drive and haven't lost any transported fish yet.