Moving fish to different country

HomingChicken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2016
Hey guys, I am moving back to my country this july, and want to take my fish with me. Not really worried about my two oscars, i know how hardy they are but im really worried about my Jardini. its about 8-10" right now and i was thinking about putting them in about a 60 litre plastic holding tank, i will instal an inverter in my car and operate an air pump, and a heater, Will that be enough for a 24 hour route?

Cheers for any help.

JohnTr

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2015
24 hours route, you just need to put them in a cooler. Bring your airpump with you. Any time you stop for the gas. Plug your airpump in for couple minutes. And you are good. I was brought my 3 black diamond rays and other jardini across the United States from Seattle to Michigan. It is 4 days route.

HomingChicken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2016
24 hours route, you just need to put them in a cooler. Bring your airpump with you. Any time you stop for the gas. Plug your airpump in for couple minutes. And you are good. I was brought my 3 black diamond rays and other jardini across the United States from Seattle to Michigan. It is 4 days route.
WOW cool i was a little skeptical about the whole moving but it should be easy then. Do you thing i can get away with a smaller holding tank then? i guess they wont move around much becuse of the dark

JohnTr

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2015
It is 2 reason i want it is a cooler. 1) it is dark, much more easily for the fish. They won't be afraid of the moving. 2) cooler lid fit completely, so the water won't pour out while driving.

Hoplo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
New Zealand
As above use a cooler/chillibin, and airpump. also if you are stopping for a night time break at a hotel/motel/ etc plug a heater in there to keep the water warm, other then that make sure the air in your car does not get to cold.

also if you are moving internationally (from one country to another) you will want to check that you are legally allowed to do that with out getting into trouble.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Why would u only plug in the air pump when u stop for gas?....get a converter or battery opperated pump and run it the whole trip....

Hoplo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
New Zealand
Why would u only plug in the air pump when u stop for gas?....get a converter or battery opperated pump and run it the whole trip....
For me at least it is because I need to keep the lid of the bin fully closed to stop the water sloshing out of it, and as I don't want to drill a hole in the lid that means I can't run an airline into it.

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
For me at least it is because I need to keep the lid of the bin fully closed to stop the water sloshing out of it, and as I don't want to drill a hole in the lid that means I can't run an airline into it.
you need aeration more often when you stop for gas. You would only have to drill a tiny hole for the tubing and then put the airstone on the other side and you could drill another hole and put a piece of tubing in it to let the excess air escape. You could even put silicone around the airline tubing.

Reactions: SandNukka15

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
If you are worried about drilling a 1/4 inch hole in a cheap plastic bin in order to secure the health of your fish then you have bigger problems

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store