jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
my loaches are, 6in and moved them into my trigon out another tank
they are fine,which I was worried about cos they are funny like that
got any pics,love loaches :)
I do too. I'm going to get them tomorrow so I should have some pics this weekend. I've been a fan all my life. I had a pair I bought in 1998 and really enjoyed them until they passed 4 years ago. One was almost 9" and the other 7". I quarantined several hatchet fish for 6 weeks prior to introducing them into my display tank. They showed no signs of trouble until a couple days later I noticed a few spots on one of the hatchet's tails. I quickly removed them but eventually all the other tetras and the loaches got it. I did everything I could but lost both of them. It was a super sad day. That's why I'm so worried about this one. I did replace the 2 big ones in that tank with 6 small ones and they're only 3.5" at best now.

Reactions: lekkiandgas

lekkiandgas

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2015
hertfordshire, england
I do too. I'm going to get them tomorrow so I should have some pics this weekend. I've been a fan all my life. I had a pair I bought in 1998 and really enjoyed them until they passed 4 years ago. One was almost 9" and the other 7". I quarantined several hatchet fish for 6 weeks prior to introducing them into my display tank. They showed no signs of trouble until a couple days later I noticed a few spots on one of the hatchet's tails. I quickly removed them but eventually all the other tetras and the loaches got it. I did everything I could but lost both of them. It was a super sad day. That's why I'm so worried about this one. I did replace the 2 big ones in that tank with 6 small ones and they're only 3.5" at best now.
wow 9 in!
sorry about the loss, the other loaches will grow bigger in time
look forward to seeing the pics :)

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
A 100 gallon tank with some structure for them to hide (PVC pipe) would be fine for a temp QT tank, so the only real question is how well you trust your friends set up. Ich doesn't grow on tress, so either your friends system contains ich already, or it is ich free. Your call.

As far as moving, I never use bags for CL's, but with loaches that size I would most definitely be running an airline as 02 loss will happen quickly with large stressed out loaches, especially in an open container such as a cooler. A pinch of salt in the transport containers will also help with osmotic stress.

Reactions: vincentwugwg

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
You could also add a small dose of Prime or Safe to neutralize any free ammonia that is produced during transport. Sometimes a 90 min trip ends up being a 3-4 hours trip so while hoping for the best, it's always a good idea to plan for the worst. Good luck with your new CL's!

Reactions: vincentwugwg

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
You could also add a small dose of Prime or Safe to neutralize any free ammonia that is produced during transport. Sometimes a 90 min trip ends up being a 3-4 hours trip so while hoping for the best, it's always a good idea to plan for the worst. Good luck with your new CL's!
Good idea. I do have 2 battery backup pumps and I'll bring along some Prime.

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
Here's some pics of the loaches. They're pretty well settled in. I haven't put a ruler to them but I estimate the smallest is 5" or just bigger and the largest is in the 8"-9" range. They're still a little camera shy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store