Multiple lince catfish in same tank

M3AN ONE

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
Long Island
I am courious to see if anyone has experience with keeping multiple lince catfish in the same tank. Also is it possible to sex them and do they breed in captivity? I know they are aggressive against other types of catfish.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Good question. Any 1sthand experiences out there? I aint't got any.

Reactions: M3AN ONE

Goban

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2011
jakarta
I have 3 lince cf .
1 is a 16incher , the other two are babies and just came from brazil at 8” three months ago .

i put the two small ones in the same tank as the bigger lince when they first arrived . This lasted for 2 months and i habe separated them for a month now because the tank was getting overstocked with 10 ish atlantic tarpon growing fast and they kept interrupting and spooking the small linces when they are trying to feed .

all three linces was completely unharmed no chipped fins whatsoever . To add more details , all my three lince are from brazil not Peru.
A bit out of topic but i heard the brazil ones are reported to reach bigger max size .

i have a friend who had kept multiple peru lince ( all about 15-18”)in the same tank like 5-7 or so, most died not because of the damage done by each other but due to being spooked and ended up banging the tank wall killing themselves . He still has the video up in his IG , Dm me if anyone happen to need it .

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Great info from peers. Thank you. I too had thought lince were not a problem to each other but it's far better to hear it from the horse's mouth.

Reactions: M3AN ONE
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store