My 240 Set up

fattubwhale

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
Picked up this 240g acrylic tank back in March and its been collecting dust in the garage this whole time :oops: Finally got her plumbed and filled last night now just need to fine tune it a bit. Built a 2x4 stand and 75g DIY sump for the set up. The tank has a coast to coast weir with 2 - 1.5" drains, sump pump is a Max flo 2400 with a 1" return to 2 loc line nozzles. I built the sump with 3 baffles with the intentions to run a trickle with bio balls in the first chamber, 2nd chamber would hold 4-8 liters of pond matrix and the last chamber for the pump and heaters. Did a test run yesterday I may scratch the trickle and just run with the pond matrix. Kind of worried with the amount of of water draining that the tray wouldn't work as well... I left it open to make any changes necessary. also, not a fan of how the drain pipes are set up. They sound like a water fall in the back of the tank. The original owner had it set up with 2 stand pipes with slits cut in on the top 4" of the pipe with cap. Will probably play around with a durso or a herbie pipe.
Open for comments and suggestion.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I have a coast to coast on the side and to quiet it down at first I used poret foam as a prefilter but got tired of keeping it close to the weirs so that water went through the foam so I adjusted with the gate valve until the water level was high enough it doesn't make noise. Im using herbie drains.

fattubwhale

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
Thanks for the info. I actually converted the pipes over tonight to Durso and man does it sound better already! I had to cut the T and the street 90 off on the male and female end so both the durso pipes would fit in the box. Only thing i may do is raise the pipe up a little just so intake on the T. is leveled with the weir... that should silence it completely.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store