My 650g plywood tank also Wetsuit

sashimimaster

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2010
MI
Turn ur lites off for a few days and /or add some blue lighting, actinic, leds are great for that, very bright and u can use a small amount and get good visibility too, so u can still see the fish and cut the algae down.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Tried that. I turned lights out for about a week and nothing changed. It's not green algae.

Red_Man

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2010
Indiana
Sweet build!!! Appreciate all the detail and that you're keeping up with the thread still! Good luck! And keep the updates coming!

Sent from boring old desktop!

Freemananana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2015
Florida
So you glassed the entire inside of the tank? Why not just the seems? Just curious as to your opinion. I've seen several builds just glass the seems of the tank for added support where the wood is the weakest.

I really do enjoy the glass corner. It looks great.

sashimimaster

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2010
MI
The fiberglass served two purposes. Strength and waterproofing too. The resin soaks into the wood and the fiber mats add rigidity. Since I didn't want to add any outside supports I added strips of fiberglass to add structure.

The tank is now dismantled. I'm getting ready to move so I'm going to be selling the glass pieces off.

JohnTr

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2015
Sashimi, can you tell us more about your heatting system. I go through 25 pages but didn't se any. And how much does it cost you monthly for water, elictric and gas bill? Thanks

sashimimaster

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2010
MI
Sashimi, can you tell us more about your heatting system. I go through 25 pages but didn't se any. And how much does it cost you monthly for water, elictric and gas bill? Thanks
I had a 1000w heater which kept the water at 82 deg. My electric bill was pretty high. It basically warmed my basement. I averaged over $350 a month in electricity from the 2 pumps and the heater. I would get letters from the electric company comparing me to my neighbors. I was 3 times higher. lol I was expecting cops to show up at my door any day and accuse me of growing pot or something.

JohnTr

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2015
It's so high in MI. I just moved here on the end of may. Got a first 3 months water bill last week for $900. Didn't get the electric bill yet. I'm running 500w and 300w for my 180gallons and 200w for my 10 gallons tank. Is it too much?

sashimimaster

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2010
MI
That's very high for a water bill. Mine was about $300 for 3 months. And I changed about 1/3 of the tank every week. The biggest user of water is the lawn sprinkler. My fish only used a fraction of the water compared to the lawn. Your electric bill is dependent on the difference in temperature between your tank and the environment. However for a larger volume of water you need higher wattage to maintain that temp. For your 180 you can get by with less wattage.

JohnTr

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2015
I may built my plywood very soon because my fish growing out in a year. Thanks for all your experience.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store