My Catfish Collection :)

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
wednesday13 wednesday13 thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter This is an Albino Mytsus sp. that fisherman have just caught right out of the river.... Have you guys ever seen one of these with it's albino mutation?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Amazing pickups as always Vince! Don't believe ive seen an albino mystus wyckii a.k.a. (black devil cat). The Asian RTC albino is readily available tho and looks similiar. I'm no expert on telling the 2 apart. thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter should know. I do believe that's a true wyckii tho :). let him settle in and get em on a plane lol... There notorious for hating tank mates...but worth it for something no one or not many have...or have even seen.

Reactions: vincentwugwg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
*****A pedantic note: Perhaps the video is misleading but it appears the eye of the vulture has pigment.

*****Congratulatory note: Lovely fish all three!

*****ID note: The Hemibagrus species did strike me as a wyckii too but now that there are 32 spp instead of 3, it is harder to be sure.

The albino ARTC that Russ mentioned is probably, I am guessing, what used to be known as Hemibagrus nemurus and now became Hemibagrus spilopterus - a farmed food fish in SE Asia dominated by the albinism and the culls of which we get in our hobby trade.

I can be wrong but I don't think I've ever seen an albino ARTC.

*****Grumpy note: I'd much prefer for clarity that we all as a community use ARTC only for Hemibagrus wyckioides and none other Hemibagrus, because wyckioides only has the red tail, albeit again, with the new revision by Dr. H. H. Ng. in view, I may be wrong.

I understand the retailers have a difficulty telling young Hemibagrus apart and call them either ARTC or the numerous common names for the wyckii. But we as a community know better.

*****Post-production quality control note: Just my $0.02.

Reactions: vincentwugwg
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store