Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

My cichlid tank is super dirty!

Discussion in 'Central and South American Cichlids' started by Macenzi, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Macenzi

Macenzi MFK Members

May 26, 2015
      I've had it heavier stocked than it currently is, but now it's randomly become filthy with a smell, feces everywhere, I have not changed my filter pads for a while, is that the reason? Or is it something else. I changed them today of course +40% wc.

90 gallon
      12 spotted gar
      8" red devil
      5" oscar
      4.5" pacu
      3x 3" jewel
      5.5" blood parrot
      2" convict
      5" red tail shark
      2x 10" pleco

As I said I've had tank more stocked than this so I don't know what's up.
      Plecos and gar are being rehomed soon and pacu when it's larger.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

2. Crazy mike

Crazy mike MFK Members

Jun 3, 2015
      If your feeding NLS could be that. I've noticed that since I started feeding it my cichlid poop more frequently and larger sizes

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

3. trace

trace MFK Members

May 1, 2015
      This is due likely to either feeding too large a pellet or over feeding. It is incredibly nutrient dense so your fish need to eat far less than with other foods( which most people still over feed). In your case if the only mess you really are seeing is extra feces than it's likely over feeding. Don't feel bad it's easy to do. If your filter pads are a red color that's another likely sign of either overfeed in got feeding too large a pellet.
      As for the op that tank is very heavily stocked even after said fish are removed. That isn't a huge amount if water volume. You will be happier with a lighter stock as will your fish.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

4. neutrino

neutrino MFK Members

Today at 9:38 AM
      It's not always how many fish, but species of fish makes a difference, some are a lot messier than others-- one possibility. Food can make a difference (obviously overfeeding can be a factor), but as soon as you mention specific brands of food you start a debate that imo doesn't really answer your question in this instance.

Dirty filter can make a difference (also dirty substrate, etc.), certainly to overall water quality, and theoretically to how fast solid waste is broken down-- and therefore how much is visible. Has to do with redox, little complicated to explain, but basically it's an aspect of water chemistry that can affect how quickly solid wastes break down into smaller components.

But the first thing that I see right now is not just how many fish but types of fish in your tank. Oscars are messy, large plecos are messy, etc.

5. DBLN8

DBLN8 MFK Members

55 minutes ago
      way over stocked.. you would need to be doing a huge WC every day to keep up with that bio load. What kind of filter's are you running? Have you checked the water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

6. Halfduzndad

Halfduzndad MFK Members

Dec 14, 2013
      If you are using an under gravel filter, try removing a couple caps, or lift tubes at each plate. Then stick a hose in each hole and siphon out some of the debris. It may just be too much mulm under the plates and the debris is being pushed back into the tank. Also, I agree with the others it is way overstocked.

7. Macenzi

Macenzi MFK Members

May 26, 2015
      I run two hang on the back filters, ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10ppm.

I know it's overstocked but I found a couple fish that I wanted to keep for life, so I got them and now I just need to re home others. But I usually keep slightly overstocked tanks

8. Macenzi

Macenzi MFK Members

May 26, 2015
      I just moved the tank 4 hours so maybe all the dirt just got out of substrate

9. spool212

spool212 MFK Members

Apr 16, 2015
      I say get bigger better filters mybe 2 aquaclear and a powerhead to keep water movement for the filters to catch cut down on feeding that's what I would do

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

10. krichardson

krichardson MFK Members

41 minutes ago
      Sounds like you've been slacking off on vacuuming the gravel...Although you didn't mention what kinds of hang on filters you have it does not sound as if they will be able to handle that bio load so you should look into a wet/dry sump system to ad to or replace one of them.