My first Saltwater tank.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I just got a 65 gallon tank that I plan on making it a saltwater aquarium. I think it's about time to explore Saltwater, as I currently have multiple successful freshwater aquariums, with my largest being a 210 gallon. This would be my first Saltwater aquarium, and I think I already have the basics down, but it anyone could explain them it would be much appreciated.

I was just planning on getting some soft corals so I'm not dropping $300 on lights. Are there any lights that I should get to grow corals well? The tank is 36" long and 24" wide. I'm hoping to not spend much more than $150 on lighting. I found these and they have a lot of good reviews, but I'd like to hear from someone else on the forum if I should get them or not.

https://www.amazon.com/Current-USA-...61&sr=8-3&keywords=led+reef+aquarium+lighting

Here is my planned stock list: 2 Cardinal fish, 2 Royal Gramams, 2 Red Firefish, 2 Purple Firefish, 4 Ocellaris Clownfish, 2 Cleaner Shrimp, and assorted snails. Any suggestions on the stock list would also be appreciated. I'd like to know if some of these fish aren't compatible, or if there are too many.

thomeski

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
Butler NJ
Hey im new to saltwater game as well, my tank is set up for les than a year. I was looking fo light my self and ended up using marsaqua black box. From what i know its little bot more powerful than the orbit. It doesn't have the fancy dimer but it gets the job done. Keep in mind that my tank is only 29 gal so you would need more than one to get the whole coverage. As far as the stock royals are usually better by having only one otherwise they will fight. Same thing with the clowns, only one pair per tank. It could be done with multiple pairs but its always a risk. Other fish you mentioned i dont know anything about. I would suggest signing up on some saltwater forum because saltwater here dosent get to much traffic. . Good luck venturing in to the dark side.

Reactions: Angelphish

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Hey im new to saltwater game as well, my tank is set up for les than a year. I was looking fo light my self and ended up using marsaqua black box. From what i know its little bot more powerful than the orbit. It doesn't have the fancy dimer but it gets the job done. Keep in mind that my tank is only 29 gal so you would need more than one to get the whole coverage. As far as the stock royals are usually better by having only one otherwise they will fight. Same thing with the clowns, only one pair per tank. It could be done with multiple pairs but its always a risk. Other fish you mentioned i dont know anything about. I would suggest signing up on some saltwater forum because saltwater here dosent get to much traffic. . Good luck venturing in to the dark side.
Thanks for the advice. Sucks that I can't have more clowns. I've noticed about the lack of traffic in the saltwater section after the lack of replies.

thomeski

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
Butler NJ
Thanks for the advice. Sucks that I can't have more clowns. I've noticed about the lack of traffic in the saltwater section after the lack of replies.
Check out reefcentral, there are people with clown harems, lol. It can be done, and they look great.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Check out reefcentral, there are people with clown harems, lol. It can be done, and they look great.
I already signed up for that one before I asked for suggestions. I just hadn't gotten a response until about an hour so I thought it wasn't very busy. After the first 3-4 responses the thread started to explode.

thomeski

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
Butler NJ
I already signed up for that one before I asked for suggestions. I just hadn't gotten a response until about an hour so I thought it wasn't very busy. After the first 3-4 responses the thread started to explode.
Lol, it just came to me ive checked your post on RC before and i didnt even realise its the same post. Lol

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia

Username.

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2014
Virginia, US
If you want nice lights get the Chinese eBay 165w marsaqua led. About $95 and work as good as some kessils. Kessils do look a bit better tho, but $95 is $95. Get a sump, you'll be glad. With a 65g you'll need a protein skimmer in order to not have to do constant water changes. Don't go cheap on this one, protein skimmers are very important. Get at least 60 lbs of rock, cure or do what ever you have to do to get the bad stuff off and populate pods and bacteria to make it live rock. Live rock is important to filter the water. As far as soft corals go, try leathers, zoanthids, palythoa, mushrooms, and acans(technically lps). But with the light I recommended you can even grow most sps (most think it's the hardest coral to grow, easy to me). Also you might want a center piece fish, try a coral beauty angel. Not too aggressive but you should add it last to reduce aggression. Or if you are feeling risky, try a flame angel, known if not fed they'll try out what coral tastes like. When a fish eats a coral, there's no going back, so keep it well fed. I have both of these Angels, the flame is absolutely stunning, and they both stay under 6", so you could choose one. Your stick list is fine, but you should try to get as many different colors out of the fish as possible. Sand is optional. The initial cost is pretty wild, but after that and the initial learning phase, it's smooth sailing. Reefing is super addicting and fun, so don't let how overwhelming this sounds turn you off. Keep up your research, and Good luck.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
If you want nice lights get the Chinese eBay 165w marsaqua led. About $95 and work as good as some kessils. Kessils do look a bit better tho, but $95 is $95. Get a sump, you'll be glad. With a 65g you'll need a protein skimmer in order to not have to do constant water changes. Don't go cheap on this one, protein skimmers are very important. Get at least 60 lbs of rock, cure or do what ever you have to do to get the bad stuff off and populate pods and bacteria to make it live rock. Live rock is important to filter the water. As far as soft corals go, try leathers, zoanthids, palythoa, mushrooms, and acans(technically lps). But with the light I recommended you can even grow most sps (most think it's the hardest coral to grow, easy to me). Also you might want a center piece fish, try a coral beauty angel. Not too aggressive but you should add it last to reduce aggression. Or if you are feeling risky, try a flame angel, known if not fed they'll try out what coral tastes like. When a fish eats a coral, there's no going back, so keep it well fed. I have both of these Angels, the flame is absolutely stunning, and they both stay under 6", so you could choose one. Your stick list is fine, but you should try to get as many different colors out of the fish as possible. Sand is optional. The initial cost is pretty wild, but after that and the initial learning phase, it's smooth sailing. Reefing is super addicting and fun, so don't let how overwhelming this sounds turn you off. Keep up your research, and Good luck.
I was looking at both. Knowing that Flame angels are a little more risky, I'll get a coral beauty. I went to my lfs today and saw both of the fish in person, along with their price tags. I like the Coral Beauty's coral and their price (half the price of flame angels). I may be able to get sand, it depends on what I do to my tank. It has an intake on the bottom, which would take in sand, but I have the option of closing the valve from the intake, which I would do if I go with sand. I was looking at a $95 skimmer, which I think is expensive, but I know there is worse.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CML49CK/ref=crt_ewc_title_gw_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store