My first Saltwater tank.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I've decided to just buy the corals at my lfs, because they have a $20 frag rack. The lady I was talking to told me that they never keep anything in specific in the frag tank, and I just have to come to the store often to see whats new. She probably told me that because knows I impulse buy. lol.

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
After a multiple threads on reef central (such a lack of conversation on that forum) I've updated the stock list:
2 Cardinal fish, 1 Royal Gramma, 1 Red Firefish, 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, 4 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Coral Beauty Angel, 1 Harlequin Serpent Star, 2 Cleaner Shrimp, and assorted snails.
Watch the coral beauty sometimes they eat corals, other angels would have been a little more reef safe like the bellus and the swallowtail. I have a flame angel they're considered reef safe caution but most often then not they don't pick at corals. How many snails do you have? It's also important to have a good cuc. I only like using snails and no hermits because hermits most likely will eat the snails. Did you add any corals yet? Generally your pretty safe if you stay with soft corals they need very basic care and will grow fast. The other corals need stronger lights as well

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Watch the coral beauty sometimes they eat corals, other angels would have been a little more reef safe like the bellus and the swallowtail. I have a flame angel they're considered reef safe caution but most often then not they don't pick at corals. How many snails do you have? It's also important to have a good cuc. I only like using snails and no hermits because hermits most likely will eat the snails. Did you add any corals yet? Generally your pretty safe if you stay with soft corals they need very basic care and will grow fast. The other corals need stronger lights as well
I don't even have it running yet.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/lobster-tank-conversion.670905/page-5#post-7548510

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
I've read through the thread of you picking out numerous equipment items for possible buys, can you tell me all the equipment you have like the skimmer, the lights you went with, the sump and power heads etc. Saltwater needs to have good water movement to maintain a healthy aquarium. Maybe a picture of the set up?

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I've read through the thread of you picking out numerous equipment items for possible buys, can you tell me all the equipment you have like the skimmer, the lights you went with, the sump and power heads etc. Saltwater needs to have good water movement to maintain a healthy aquarium. Maybe a picture of the set up?
I can tell you what I plan on getting.

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
The refractometer and thermometer don't matter too much, I have a Red Sea refractometer because I use their salt. I recommend using their salt they hold the levels steady and you can even check what's in each batch of salt. I use coral pro Red Sea salt and I don't have to dose anything because I replenish all the levels with weekly water changes. The live sand is great just stay away from crushed coral that some people use cause its easy to get an algae bloom from it. I use the Bahama oolite since it's a fine grade for my wrasses. Any four stage ro unit should be fine it's all personal preference I use a spectupure. Reef octopus is a great skimmer maker however I don't like hob skimmers I don't think they do as good of a job as ones that go in the sump. You also have to worry about what happens if the collection cup over fills it would be all over your floor instead of back in your sump. All skimmers go through a break in period when you first add them to a tank and ive had mine overfill quite a few times. A lot of times I'll clean out the collection cup and do a water change but forget to turn off my skimmer and the higher water level will make it overflow. Also times you have to tune the air flow in. I don't know how large your sump is to accommodate a skimmer but it you don't have the room a hob is better then nothing. All coral tanks should have a skimmer and a good one at that. I'd get something that's well overrated for the tank size. For lighting it's up to you I've heard people having success with cheaply made Chinese LEDs but I'd never risk it on my own tank because their par readings and spectrum ratings can be off. In my opinion the light is the most important part of a reef tank so it's not worth cutting corners there. You will probably be fine if your only doing soft corals but if you get to the point you want to expand into lps and sps you won't be able to branch out from the soft coral set up

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
The refractometer and thermometer don't matter too much, I have a Red Sea refractometer because I use their salt. I recommend using their salt they hold the levels steady and you can even check what's in each batch of salt. I use coral pro Red Sea salt and I don't have to dose anything because I replenish all the levels with weekly water changes. The live sand is great just stay away from crushed coral that some people use cause its easy to get an algae bloom from it. I use the Bahama oolite since it's a fine grade for my wrasses. Any four stage ro unit should be fine it's all personal preference I use a spectupure. Reef octopus is a great skimmer maker however I don't like hob skimmers I don't think they do as good of a job as ones that go in the sump. You also have to worry about what happens if the collection cup over fills it would be all over your floor instead of back in your sump. All skimmers go through a break in period when you first add them to a tank and ive had mine overfill quite a few times. A lot of times I'll clean out the collection cup and do a water change but forget to turn off my skimmer and the higher water level will make it overflow. Also times you have to tune the air flow in. I don't know how large your sump is to accommodate a skimmer but it you don't have the room a hob is better then nothing. All coral tanks should have a skimmer and a good one at that. I'd get something that's well overrated for the tank size. For lighting it's up to you I've heard people having success with cheaply made Chinese LEDs but I'd never risk it on my own tank because their par readings and spectrum ratings can be off. In my opinion the light is the most important part of a reef tank so it's not worth cutting corners there. You will probably be fine if your only doing soft corals but if you get to the point you want to expand into lps and sps you won't be able to branch out from the soft coral set up
I don't mind having only soft corals. Here's why I need my skimmer to be hob:

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/lobster-tank-conversion.670905/page-5

As you can see in the picture, the sump is closed off.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store