My flowerhorn had a scrap 2 weeks ago and he's just not been the same!

harraj128

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2023
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
5ppm
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
61-70%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
So I bought my flowerhorn and put him in a tank with an umbee that was half his size.. He started chasing the umbee and bullying it. I thought okay if he does any damage I'll remove the umbee. Come back the following morning and the umbee absolutely savaged him up.

Now I removed the umbee and the flowerhorn has healed up but his kok shrank significantly and he's lost the redness he had initially. He's eating well, regular large water changes and he's very active.

Is it just something that will take time?

Can see first pic is him now second pic was when I got him1000124101.jpgVideoCapture_20240222-120721.jpg

harraj128

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2023
Yes
Don't put it back with the Umbee it will be killed .
Yes no intentions to, it's living on its own now but I just wonder if there's anything else I should do? I used melafix for the 2 weeks and he's healed up significantly, I'm feeding NLS and Fluval bug bites around the 35-40% protein mark max.

Reactions: tlindsey

cailenew

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2023
what are they eating? I've just bred some and the majority of the time my 'fry' lose colour when they're sulking and not eating. maybe try to tweezer feed some frozen to them? I hand feed and catch all of my flowers in an attempt to not damage their koks or fins but I've been doing this since they were 1 inch so they're kind of used to it. i also feed live insects - mainly waxworms due to their fatty and soft bodys

another thing, may be stress from the water changes - is the water colder/ warmer than whats in the tank and is it poured in all at once or gradually? mine loose colour when i do water changes but they get the stress lateral lines so its easier to see on them and they loose them within a hour.
but i just sove a hose from outside and run it through at a 1/2 turn - i live in the uk so our waters hard.

what filter are you running? - i have a combination of sponge and a external 800l oasa (and in a ideal world id do a wc every month but its part of my disertation so i have to do 30% changes every week or so.

harraj128

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2023
what are they eating? I've just bred some and the majority of the time my 'fry' lose colour when they're sulking and not eating. maybe try to tweezer feed some frozen to them? I hand feed and catch all of my flowers in an attempt to not damage their koks or fins but I've been doing this since they were 1 inch so they're kind of used to it. i also feed live insects - mainly waxworms due to their fatty and soft bodys

another thing, may be stress from the water changes - is the water colder/ warmer than whats in the tank and is it poured in all at once or gradually? mine loose colour when i do water changes but they get the stress lateral lines so its easier to see on them and they loose them within a hour.
but i just sove a hose from outside and run it through at a 1/2 turn - i live in the uk so our waters hard.

what filter are you running? - i have a combination of sponge and a external 800l oasa (and in a ideal world id do a wc every month but its part of my disertation so i have to do 30% changes every week or so.
So he's feeding very well, I feed him NLS 3mm pellets and Fluval bug bites and he eats no issues. Ive actually not fed any frozen yet as want to get him fully accustom to pellets before introducing some treats!

So like you I'm also in the UK but I try to temperature match the water going in, running the boiler before hand to ensure there's enough hot water in the tank to suffice.

I'm running an FX4 and a sponge filter so I think the filtration is more that sufficient for a 200L tank which he's currently in on his own.

I'm doing water changes every single week and the lights are on the tank around 12 hours a day so he's not just sitting in the dark and colouring down. I do hope that in maybe a months more time he'll regain his former glory haha

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store