My idea for an outside saltwater pond

RooRocks

Feeder Fish
Sep 11, 2012
Alta Loma, CA
New here but I found this forum while doing a lot of reasearch on my new project. I am not new to saltwater aquariums as I have been keeping reef tanks for 14 years but now I am trying to plan my dream build, 1100g outside saltwater pond. I do not think I will be turning into a reef, more of a fish only with a small shark ~2ft.

Here is the area I am planning on putting it:

I would be removing the BBQ and table and pretty much all the concrete, the tank would be in the middle of concrete level witht he ground:

As far as equipment I was going to treat this like I have treated my reef tanks, 300-400gallon sump, big skimmer with lots of biological filtration. I would fill the sump and tank with roughly 1000lbs+ of rock with the plans of having a mangrove/fuge section in the tank inself.

As far as heating this is where I am lost, obviously I do not want to run 6000w of heaters all winter so what are people doing for heat in their outside ponds?

Cooling will not be an issue as I am sure I can keep this under control with big fans blowing on the surface of the sump.

I would run a large UV system, 120w or bigger

I would look into running ozone as well, it will help keep the water clean and parasite free.

As far as stocking I would keep it large angels, puffers and tangs. I would like to add a shark but after doing a lot of research on here and other forums I think I would liek to stay away.

For covering I would use the latice cover that is there and maybe do tinted shields mounted to the top to retract some of the light, heat and rain.

Evaporation, I'll lose a lot due to this but it's not a big deal as I'll have a auto top off setup in the sump to compensate for it.

For flow I figured 2 Reeflo Barracuda Golds, one for the return and one for a closed loop. Since the sump will be higher than the tank I will also need to find a way to pump water from the tank to the sump, I may be able to use gravity to return water back to the tank since it will be higher.

At this point I am just gathering information and trying to plan out if it is even possible, I would like to talk to some people who have done this if possible.

thechief

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2012
the dirty south
if you can pull this off it will be the first ive heard of one and it would be amazing good luck to you! hope it comes together for you

RooRocks

Feeder Fish
Sep 11, 2012
Alta Loma, CA
if you can pull this off it will be the first ive heard of one and it would be amazing good luck to you! hope it comes together for you
That's my worry, I can't find anyone who has done it and it kinda scares me. I would like to know if it has been tried and even if it was a failure I'd like to know what failed so I could see what I can fix. Keeping the parameters stable would be easy and I am not worried about salinity changes, only thing that I am not sure of is heating it. If it came down to me having to use heaters it would be a deal killer as it would exponentially raise the cost of running it.

Cooterbrown

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2012
Leavenworth Kansas
I've read a thread of someone who ahd a very successful reed pond but it was under his porch in what appeared to be an old hot tub he gutted. it was completely covered but got sun most of the day. he had an entire garage worth of filtration. 2 pool pumps and a 1500 gallon tank for a sump. he said he struggled for a few years before he got it right. and he also pumped sea water at a consistent rate. i think it would be harder than it seems. although would be amazing.

Anchovie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
Jersey Shore
I've heard of people using modified home boilers/water heaters. Might be possible if you have a friend who likes to tinker with things like that. It would only heat 80 gallons at a time tho so its likely it would run constantly. They are getting pretty energy efficient tho, might be worth looking into

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Kangadrew

Banned
Aug 7, 2015
As an experienced keeper of large saltwater systems (not including shark systems - ZooDiver and turbo235 are your guys for that), there are significant problems with your pool, but I think you could pull it off.
First let me say this - buy a 10 foot above ground pool and keep it in your basement or living room, or somewhere in your house really. That's what I did and it's amazingly cheaper than an outdoor setup or an aquarium of the same size.
However if you're still set on an outdoor setup, I'll keep trying to point out some stuff I see.
Generally, in-ground saltwater ponds require A LOT more heating than an above-ground. Think about it - you need a seriously big heater for your in-ground pool, but nobody gets a big one for an above ground of the same size. If you do an inground, you might as well go with a pool heater - gas ones will save you money in the long run. Sump and skimmer sound fine - I would go with something like a 9 foot external skimmer. A fuge is somewhere for nutrients to build up and it's a safe haven for copepods - it's meant to be separate from the main tank. A mangrove area would be great, but I'm not sure about a fuge in the main pond. I would build a cove from LR and have some dry rock out of the water. I'd take eggcrate or something and build a base for the rock, then take a pond liner inside, then fill with sand for the island. I'd be sure to keep a lot of dry sand and a lot of wet mud for mangroves.
For cooling, skip those fans. Get a big JBJ chiller or something. Or I think there's something online (I tihnk about.com) about using a refrigerator to make a chiller - seems like a better choice for your tank.
UV is a good idea for this. 120w should suffice.
Ozone is also a good idea, but not truly necessary.
For your ATO, you need a big constant source of RODI water - you should probably buy a commercial unit.
Using gravity to your advantage is always good.
Your pumps should be okay, might want a bit more flow though just because of your big fish. More is always better.
It's definitely something that could be done, I'm just not sure if it's worth it. Indoors would be much simpler IMO/IME

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store