My New Senegal

Ajxackt

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2015
It is like a dream come true while taking home my small Senegal. He (at least I believe that is his sex) is very active, a jumper (he can't get very high yet) and boy does he have an appetite!
He is the first fish I have ever owned to eat as soon as I get them home. We bought some ghost shrimp for food and dropped them all in, one dead on arrival.
It was hilarious watching this clumsy child fight for his dead snack. His first attempted ended with a mouth full of sand and he spit it out and dug into the sand like he was embarrassed. Round two and he missed and got a mouthfull of moss, which was disgusting according to his offended expression. Third time's the charm and he got the small shrimp in his mouth, nawing on it.
Now, he is finding his little home in the large tank. Now... to find a name for him.20160524_141108.jpg 20160524_143731.jpg

Hoplo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
New Zealand
Very good looking. Still looks like ti is a tad on the small size to sex, but they easiest way to tell the sex of a poly is to look at the size of it's anal fin.

Reactions: tlindsey

Ajxackt

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2015
He is pretty small, about three or four inches. He doesn't stop very often. A lot of tank to explore and all.
Been looking at pictures of sexing bichirs and so far, maleish, but it could always surprise us. I have had "male" bettas lay eggs, so who knows.

Reactions: tlindsey

Hoplo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
New Zealand
Yea it is hard to tell, and at that size I have never had much luck telling the difference, as I there doesn't seem to be the same level of difference as when they are larger, also with only one it you don't really have anything to compare it to. Either way a cool fish.

Ajxackt

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2015
So, I gave in and got the other small senegal I was looking at. Why not, right? I'll post a picture after they adjust and I can get the lights back on.
Buuut... here's a pic of my first one in the hide that took him an entire night to find.
Quick question though, how often should I feed them? We have frozen bloodworm cubes and also have live shrimp in the tank with them.2016-05-25 11.21.14.jpg

Reactions: Vancouver_98683

Paige

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2015
So, I gave in and got the other small senegal I was looking at. Why not, right? I'll post a picture after they adjust and I can get the lights back on.
Buuut... here's a pic of my first one in the hide that took him an entire night to find.
Quick question though, how often should I feed them? We have frozen bloodworm cubes and also have live shrimp in the tank with them.View attachment 1184830
I would just wait tell all the ghost shrimp are gone. I feed our ornate twice a day with a combination of massivores, krill, shrimp and he even eats the cichlid pellets.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store