Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
The bd looks prego already

Great looking group forsure

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Thanks Trev.

If you remember a short while ago you mentioned one of your blackies that looked gravid but there was no movement? This had gone on for many months with no sign of any pups. Well this is the girl I mentioned on your thread, she has looked this way since the first couple of weeks of getting her, had her about a year now so she wasn't pregnant before this mating. Hoping the heavy back end were eggs waiting to be fertilized and she is going to have 100 pups lol!
I will keep you all posted on any developments, this is my first mating with P13, so don't want to get carried away.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Looking fantastic Richard, really chuffed for you and the best of luck with the pregnancy. Now if you found the time to shoot a vid of the p13, please please please get a vid up of the P12! You know why I want to see it so bad lol

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
Looking fantastic Richard, really chuffed for you and the best of luck with the pregnancy. Now if you found the time to shoot a vid of the p13, please please please get a vid up of the P12! You know why I want to see it so bad lol

Thanks Jim,

I will get a video sorted for you of the P12.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
So she just got tagged by the male? Did she put up a fight or let the male breed her?

My big leohen will not let the males breed her now... She fights them off to the death.

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
Well its been a while since I started this thread.

At the very start I noticed the big spot Leo/BD male (Elton) tag the pure BD, however I have been looking for movement ever since, she obviously never got caught the first time around. Well that's all changed now, just doing the water changes and noticed movement in both the BD and the Leo/BD. Some of you may think whats the big deal he's bred plenty of rays before, well let me tell you this is my first time with P13 Leopoldi so needless to say I'm excited about this breeding given the fact I carefully selected these babies and have grown them from 5" pups apart from the BD which was wild caught and a relative new comer to my collection, I have had her approx 2 years.
I don't have dates but will be sure to post once they pop out.
To answer your question above Trev ...yes the female was receptive to the males advances, however he is a persistent little devil to say he is only 12" disc.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Congrats mate, roll on the bith date, best of luck!
You were lucky the female allowed the breeding with relative ease. From what i have learned about black rays they are the most aggresive lovers. My male beat up the first male he ever bred with really bad whilst he was learning what to do with his tackle. They have had 2 batches of pups since. It is the same female that has just caused all the damage to the male on the thrid breeding attempt. The male has learnt to be a gentle lover as he has managed to impregnate the other BD and she does not have a mark on her. So like Trev said regards his leo hen, maybe i have got to the point where this female will not allow herself to be bred again and this is why she inflicted the damage to the male?
Be sure you keep us updated on progress Richard, i am sure you will!!!

dat_tiger

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
boston
Top quality p13. Love how the big spot doesn't turn into doughnuts like most of the p13 that you see out there. Do you know if the parents of these rays have doughnut spots?

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
So looking back at the video, it looks like the female with the most spots was the one that always had the huge butt like my leohen? And now you see movement in her? How much fatter is she now holding pups?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store