My Red Discus - Before & After Carophyll Pink

TonyN

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2009
DFW, TX
RD.;4661829; said:

Tony, I have no problem with you offering whatever you choose to offer hobbyists. Out of respect to you & the forum I stayed out of your classified ad, but this is the open forum and as such quite frankly I felt obligated to present the other side of the coin. I'm not holding a gun to anyone's head, but at least people can read both views, and make a more informed decision whether this is something that they want to subject their fish to. Most serious discus keepers do not feed CP to their fish, nor do most serious Asian aro keepers, while most flowerhorn keepers probably wouldn't care one way or the other, unless they felt that it might make their fish sterile. (which I honestly don't believe it would)

On your website you mentioned "Diablo Red" Asian aros, I only know of 1 farm that uses that name for their arowana, and they happen to be a sponsor on MFK. (Pang Long Arowana) Their Canadian distributor also happens to be a close friend of mine. I'm quite certain that Pang Long would not recommend to their customers that they should feed Carophyll Pink, or any other type of synthetic color enhancing agents to one of their fish. Nor does anyone need to. The quality & color of their fish speaks for itself. No need for hormones, synthetic color enhancing agents, or NAN (red) lighting to make those fish look good.

Nothing personal amigo, I obviously have a different view about this hobby than you do.
Hi RD,
I'm not objecting you offering the "other side of the coin" and I'm taken no offense by it. In fact, I very much welcome it, As CP and it's application in tropical fishes industry have been in the dark for so long. People who've used it are not willing to talk about it. Most who talked about it have not used it It's about time we bring it to the light. I would like all members to be informed and make their choices.

As for the name of "Diablo Red" on my website, I'm not insinuating that the creator/farm offering them are using it. It's just known to me, that some owner of ""Diablo Red" Aro. have used CP on them. I'll remove the name "Diablo Red" from my website, out of respect to you, this forum and the sponsors of this forum.

Regards,
Tony

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
Juxtaroberto;4661862; said:
I believe it is a bit of a low blow to try to use an emotional appeal regarding this chemical. Artificial, synthetic, and unnatural are not bad things. Many people have artificial hearts. Many people use clothes of synthetic material. Basically everything we use in our daily lives is unnatural (computers, glasses, stoves, etc). The information in the link you provided is all you need to convince most rational people not to use this product: bad long term health effects on fish, even bad health effects on people.

Don't not use this product because it is unnatural, artificial, or synthetic (just like all of our fish tanks), but because it is detrimental to the health of our fish and even to ours.

PS: Likewise, not all natural things are automatically good. Natural things can have long term health effects (mercury, etc).
this appears to be all RD and otheres are doin. Sry guys, but its the same thing over and over. Dont use it. its synthetic.

You cant get studys without research i.e. feeding it to the fish and see how they do. :duh:

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio
Lepisosteus platyrhincus;4662050; said:
this appears to be all RD and otheres are doin. Sry guys, but its the same thing over and over. Dont use it. its synthetic.

You cant get studys without research i.e. feeding it to the fish and see how they do. :duh:

Agreed.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Thanks Tony, I appreciate the fact that we can keep this discussion civil.
I'm also certain that Pang Long will appreciate the fact that you are removing the trade/brand name of one of their aros from your website.

I have no doubt that some aro keepers have experimented with CP, just as many have with NAN lighting, but IMO if one is going to go that route they might as well save a whole boat load of $$$$ and just buy a run of the mill banjar red.

CP and it's application in tropical fishes industry have been in the dark for so long. People who've used it are not willing to talk about it. Most who talked about it have not used it It's about time we bring it to the light.
I would have to disagree. CP is used by some SE Asian breeders as a deceptive practice, just like their use of hormones. (which is also very common place in SE Asia) The regulations & rules regarding the application of these substances is VERY different than here in NA.

In a previous post we saw a classic example of an African cichlid that was 'juiced' and then exported to NA. Millions of hormoned fish enter the NA market each week from Asia, and the only reason for using hormones is for marketing & sales purposes. There are no known health attributes from these substances, other than negative ones. The sole purpose of using hormones is to create an illusion, that being one where all of the fish appear to have stunning adult male coloration, including the females. As we saw in the previous photos shown, once those hormones wore off the owner was left with what appears to be a female S. fryeri, not a male as they had thought they had originally purchased.

How is this good for the hobby?

Obviously very few breeders of so called quality fish want to discuss these practices openly, as in many cases the sole purpose behind their use is one of deception.

I suspect that very few serious hobbyists would be so eager to buy from a breeder if that breeder was to disclose the fact that their fish were all artificially enhanced with hormones, or color enhanced with products such as CP. Most hobbyists want to know exactly what they are buying up front, and I would think that most want a fish that is naturally yellow, to remain yellow. The problem with products such as CP is they will take a fish beyond what it is genetically wired to be, and actually turn a naturally yellow fish, orange. This is why people who use these types of products don't want to talk about it, not because it's some kind of ancient Chinese secret.

With regards to tropical fish food, again, no company in their right mind is going to list Carophyll Pink on the label for the same reason. They too want to create the illusion of their products enhancing the color red (naturally) beyond any other product on the market. But they fail to mention the fact that it will also affect other colors, such as white, yellow, etc. Even yellow CP at the higher inclusion rates will turn a fish orange - see the egg yolk fan previously posted.

Fish food manufacturers use these products for the same reason that salmon/trout farmers do, because they are FAR cheaper than using natural ingredients. Unfortunately in this industry cheaper seldom equates to better.

So salmon farmers use these products because they are cheap, and as eye candy for consumers, breeders in Asia use it for the same reasons, and fish food manufacturers use it for the exact same reasons.

And we are somehow now to believe that these substances are "safe", because some breeders in SE Asia that have their own private agenda said so?

I don't need to use these types of products to understand how they work, any more than I need to hold my face down to the hot burner of a stove to understand what the end result of that is going to be.

FishingOut

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
PA
Quote of the day: "I don't need to have a PhD in biochemistry to understand that I prefer to eat a carrot, vs a man made fiber stick that's been dipped in Carophyll Pink. "- RD.
Bahaha. All in all, Interesting read.
At least we can all agree synthetic enhancing feeds are better than hypodermic and anally adminastered dyes. As well as "tattooing" fish and acid baths.

TonyN

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2009
DFW, TX
Hi RD,

I'm too appreciate that we are keeping this discussion civil, after all, for many of us here in NA, it's only a hobby. Our livelihood do not depend on selling tropical fishes.

I'm not condoning the deception practices of many SE Asian breeders/importers, especially with the use of hormone, when we all know and it have been scientifically proven that hormone are unsafe. On the other hand, CP is not a hormone, and have not been scientifically proven to be "bad", even at the dosage that many breeders are using, 200ppm. By blurring CP together with hormone (maybe not intentionally) is providing readers with the wrong information/perception.

The problem with products such as CP is they will take a fish beyond what it is genetically wired to be, and actually turn a naturally yellow fish, orange. This is why people who use these types of products don't want to talk about it, not because it's some kind of ancient Chinese secret.
Excess use of color enhancer, either natural or synthetic, will turn yellow fish orange. I've used Natural Rose (Asthaxantin from haematococcus pluvialis), on these same discus, and they turned into an orange mess which took 6 months to clear. I've seen a friend's leleupi turned orange from Natural Rose. As for the potential long termed health effect, natural ingredients may have less, but it does not mean there are none.

Obviously very few breeders of so called quality fish want to discuss these practices openly, as in many cases the sole purpose behind their use is one of deception.
In SE Asian forums, that I've visited (in their native language) CP is discussed openly, no deception. As many hobbyists, in SE Asia, have accepted the fact that fishes cannot synthesized Red or Yellow color and must be artificially enhance either by natural or synthetic substances. However, the reason they still feel the need the need to be inconspicuous about it uses to NA consumers, is , IMO, the stigma that many, here, still have on anything that is synthetic/un-natural. Even when many of the prescription medication that we take are synthetic, a re-production of nature, so they can patent it.

I'm just a hobbyist, my livelihood do not depend on selling fishes or few packages of CP. That is why I'm discussing this in an NA open forum where I know the reception will not be a welcome one. I will use natural products if it will achieve what I'm trying obtain, but in my experience, nothing even come close to what CP can do.

Tony

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
My perception of CP is for the most not much different than hormones, IME its primary use in the tropical fish industry is to create deception. You speak about safety, yet there is no data available that demonstrates the long term safety of CP, even at 200 ppm. Also, on your website your recommended dosage rate is 2,000 mg/kg, which is 2,000 ppm. That's 20x the inclusion rate allowed by the FDA for salmon farmers.

Excess use of color enhancer, either natural or synthetic, will turn yellow fish orange. I've used Natural Rose (Asthaxantin from haematococcus pluvialis), on these same discus, and they turned into an orange mess which took 6 months to clear. I've seen a friend's leleupi turned orange from Natural Rose. As for the potential long termed health effect, natural ingredients may have less, but it does not mean there are none.
There's the rub Tony, unless one uses excessive amounts, natural substances such as astaxnthin derived from haematococcus pluvialis will NOT turn a fish that is naturally yellow, orange. The product that you mentioned (Naturose which was manufactured by Cyanotech Corp.) will also not alter a fishes color, unless once again EXCESSIVE amounts are fed to a fish. I was experimenting with most of these substances before most hobbyists even knew they existed. Several years ago a Cyanotech rep sent me a 2kg "sample" package of Naturose, so I had plenty to experiment with. And on that note, I have never personally experienced, or until today even heard of a fish that took more than 10 days for Naturose to work its way out of its system.

In commercial applications, including tropical fish foods, the inclusion rate of natural astaxanthin such as haematococcus pluvialis is in the 50-100 ppm range, which is a far cry from what you are recommending people feed to fish with CP. Also, at these types of inclusion rates, the natural forms of astaxanthin have a long standing track record for safety. I have seen some of the most delicate marine & freshwater fish raised on these levels & survive for decades in captivity. How many breeders in SE Asia can state the same about CP?

The stigma surrounding CP is not that it is not so much that it is derived from a synthetic source (at least not for me) it's the fact that many people who use it, feed EXCESSIVE amounts, then go on to sell the fish in a decptive manner. If it is only used for personal use, by people who enjoy keeping genetically poor specimens, enhanced by artifical means to look like something they are most definitely not, that's certainly fine by me. Whatever floats your boat.

I will use natural products if it will achieve what I'm trying obtain, but in my experience, nothing even come close to what CP can do.
Then you obviously must not have experimented much with some of the various commercial feeds on the market today. As an example, the fish shown in the link below, two different male Aulonocara Rubescens peacocks were raised on an exclusive diet of the exact same pellet food.

No color enhancement, extra saturation, or trick photography was used for these photos. Just goes to show how important genetics are, and how a orange fish remains orange, while one that is genetically hard wired to be blood red, is just that.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
BTW - before anyone comes in pointing fingers about photoshop in the photos above, the second photo was taken by one of the moderators here on MFK (a very experienced fish photographer) and the first photo was taken by someone who just recently learned what cut & paste means, and has never used photoshop in his life. :)

I also had the first photo viewed by an ace photographer, who also spent many years as a graphic designer, and would be considered by many to be an expert in this area. His comment is below. Please keep in mind that these photos may appear somewhat pixilated as they are compressed by the MFK servers.

Hi Neil,

The picture does not look manipulated. One thing that you can probably see is that there is a strong green tint to it. This is likely due to the light bulbs and the camera not being able to adjust the white balance properly. With correct white balance (reducing the green towards more magenta) the red color on the fish would be slightly stronger. That being said, you never know for sure, it's just how it appears to me. The colors could have been over saturated but then you will usually see areas that look really unnatural, and loss of detail, throughout the color spectrum.

Cheers,
Patrick.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
BTW - you might find this interesting as well.
http://www.ruscom.com/cyan/web02/pdfs/naturose/axbul54.pdf

I contacted the owner of those German Red Peacocks back in 2003, and here's a portion of his email to me.

for every cup of frozen mix (home recipe of flake and various pellets, greens, and agar to bind the frozen mixture)
you put about 2-3 tablespoons of naturose......you can't overdo it ...it's good stuff. It takes about 4 weeks to see more orange -red color on
the cichlids that have some yellow or orange
Please note that he used a very high rate of Naturose, yet his fish never exceeded what I would consider natural coloration for that species of fish. 1 level tablespoon = approx. 15 grams of Naturose, so the owner of those peacocks was feeding what most would consider a MASSIVE amount of Naturose to those fish, yet they never turned red, and even the orange coloration was not excessive or artificial looking.

This is exactly what I experienced when experimenting with Naturose, it would only take the fish so far in color, and the rest the fish would simply excrete unused. This is not what one experiences when using products such as CP. When excessive amounts of CP are fed to a fish the fish will indeed become super saturated, to the point where the fish no even longer looks like the original species or strain. (color wise)

BTW - with regards to your friends N. leleupi, there actually is an orange morph, and sometimes some leleupi that appear a dull yellowish color, are orange morphs that have simply been fed a diet that was too low in natural color enhancing agents.

The N. leleupi shown below is an orange morph that was also raised on an exclusive diet of the same pellets as the 2 fish shown in my previous comment.

TonyN

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2009
DFW, TX
My perception of CP is for the most not much different than hormones, IME its primary use in the tropical fish industry is to create deception. You speak about safety, yet there is no data available that demonstrates the long term safety of CP, even at 200 ppm. Also, on your website your recommended dosage rate is 2,000 mg/kg, which is 2,000 ppm. That's 20x the inclusion rate allowed by the FDA for salmon farmers.
Thank you, for pointing out the error. I'll change it on my website. the dosage that I'm recommending on my website is what have worked, and so far have shown to be safe, for most of the breeders I've conversed with. They only supplementing with this dosage for a period of 5 - 10 days. 50-100ppm would probably worked too, but going to take much longer. As I've stated on my website, I'm just started experimenting with CP, and the information currently on my website are what was provided to me by my supplier, friends and limited personal experience. I'm hoping that more people will start experimenting with CP so we would have a better understanding of it. Not from perception, speculation and opinion. Your perception of CP is just that, your perception/opinion. Although, I understand that your opinions carried lot of weight here at MFK.

Again, you keep bringing up the deception by SE Asian breeders/farms. I'm offering these products here in NA, where most are hobbyist, not commercial breeders. Most will use it on their own fishes and not for deception.

You've posted 2 beautiful pictures of Aulonocara Rubescens peacocks just to show that natural enhancer worked very well, I've always stated that if one find that natural products worked well for them, then I'm all for it.

Tony

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store