My weeksii bichir is not moving lays on back

Bluecheesin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2015
Have you noticed any of the tank mates picking on the bichir? The fins on its tail seem to be nipped. Also is your bichir still on its back in the net?
I haven't noticed Any if the fish messing with it they all seemed fine with each other and no he is no longer in the net I moved him to a 5 gallon bucket and put aquarium salt in it but yes he still is on his back not moving at all just sitting there breathing

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Ok stop moving him around. That stresses him out. I would keep him in a net fully submerged but close to the surface, and then just sit and wait and update us on his situation as soon as it gets better or worse

Bluecheesin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2015
Was the tank cycled? How long have these fish been in the tank?
This is a new tank I got it about 2 3 weeks ago set it up put fresh water in it with the conditioner for tap water and I put fresh sand in it and everything but the bichir has been in the tank and since I've had the tank I have done 2 half tank water changes and I just got the bichir 3 days ago and he has Been completely fine until this morning

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
You set it up right away? Ok now you really need to get a testing kit as soon as possible, because if you just set it up right away your tank may not be cycled and the rest of your fish may be at risk as well.

Reactions: OTp1144

Bluecheesin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2015
You set it up right away? Ok now you really need to get a testing kit as soon as possible, because if you just set it up right away your tank may not be cycled and the rest of your fish may be at risk as well.
Ok so I just did 2 different test kits 1 is a 5 in 1 easy strips that does nitrate nitrite hardness alkalinity and ph.. the other test kit is an ammonia test kit you guys tell me what you think and what I should do

20150628_175340.jpg

20150628_175704.jpg

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
As I thought it seems the problem is you did not cycle your tank and then added some high waste producing fish such as pacu and oscar. The weeksi is effected by the ammonia probably because its the smallest but, its not long until the others get sick as well. I think your best bet is to do a large water chance. about 75 percent, probably each day until the ammonia starts reaching zero. You may want to also rehome most of those fish in the meantime. hopefully someone with more experience with this could chime in. But you definitely want to do a large water chance (with conditioner) right away.

Bluecheesin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2015
As I thought it seems the problem is you did not cycle your tank and then added some high waste producing fish such as pacu and oscar. The weeksi is effected by the ammonia probably because its the smallest but, its not long until the others get sick as well. I think your best bet is to do a large water chance. about 75 percent, probably each day until the ammonia starts reaching zero. You may want to also rehome most of those fish in the meantime. hopefully someone with more experience with this could chime in. But you definitely want to do a large water chance (with conditioner) right away.
I am in the process of doing a large water change right now and ill add conditioned water and run the test again and keep changing the water intill its right should I go buy something for the ammonia that will help it go away or something and will my weeksii be ok?

Burbotman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Canada
Ammonia poisoning. Dose heavy with Prime and daily 75% water changes!! Do you have a cycled tank that you can move the fish too?

Would recommend going to the set up and filtration section and look at the posts on cycling

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store