My Wels Catfish (silurus glanis) albino

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Just got a wels catfish from Wes. I hear that they may be banned and this may be one of the last batches he gets...couldnt pass it up,had to get one...yeah....I know how big they get, I am not a novice...but I am crazy. My plans for this fish are to grow him out in a 110 until he gets enough size on him to then go into a 340 and keep moving him up from there most likely he will then go into a pentar 96x48x30 I believe it is? ...I have put all other plans on hold for this guy. I plan to start working on some ideas to get a large acrylic tank going for him (my biggest build yet) if all else fails I do have a 12 foot diameter intex pool I have used for other monsters in the past if the large acrylic tank isn't done by then (plan to have it done though) I estimate he can be in the 340 for maybe a year give or take as I understand that they don't grow quite as fast as an RTC would. Anyways... Will discuss all those plans when the time comes...here he is. Thanks to Wes of Rare Fish for hooking me up with one of my dream fish. He is already eating Massivore lol.(very interested in me already)

20160715_075447.jpg
20160715_074924.jpg

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
wow man. you could end up with a real monster there.
hopefully they dont get this big in aquariums, maybe 4 or 5 feet?

Reactions: wednesday13

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
tlindsey tlindsey yep yep....and Hendre Hendre I would say if I'm lucky he can get maybe 5-8 foot in captivity not sure at all but I am planning for it to get huge that way if it does only get 4 foot at least I planned for a much larger footprint for a larger fish... Wednesday13 has had his quite a long time and I believe its 40 some odd inches.

Reactions: celebrist

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
ah ok. that would be cool. there was one caught in river monsters in the cooling pond of the Chernobyl reactor half the size of other catfish its age due to radioactive stunting

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Nice pick up, I'd say the potential for size is there, but they can live long so it'll take long.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
my specimen is 4-4.5yrs old and 46" on the tape measure... 5-6' for a captive specimen is more than plausible imo... 4' u better count on it lol... i hope to get my guy over 6' :) . Nice pickup o.p. u wont be disapointed!

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I've got two from Wes a month or so ago, so don't compare my experience to Wednesday's.

So far they have been pretty easy. Takes them 2-3 days to get accustomed to new foods and start gobbling them down. Kept them together first in a 240 gal. Started fighting in ~ a month, so had to separate (Wes warned me they would fight.).

Not skittish. Active, inquisitive, just as Wednesday reports.

Good luck, mate, to you and me. We'll need it :) You and I are beginners. Wednesday is like a pro :) when it comes to wels.

Reactions: wednesday13

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Yea I am a beginner when it comes to Wels thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter . Mine has already eaten Massivore but refused frozen smelt. He has been in there less than 24 hours and already comes to the glass when I walk by. He is so inquisitive. I feel like he is so delicate lol it gets me a bit worried.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I've got two from Wes a month or so ago, so don't compare my experience to Wednesday's.

So far they have been pretty easy. Takes them 2-3 days to get accustomed to new foods and start gobbling them down. Kept them together first in a 240 gal. Started fighting in ~ a month, so had to separate (Wes warned me they would fight.).

Not skittish. Active, inquisitive, just as Wednesday reports.

Good luck, mate, to you and me. We'll need it :) You and I are beginners. Wednesday is like a pro :) when it comes to wels.
Didnt know u snuck 2 in without me knowin lol... :) Congrats!

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store