My Wels Catfish (silurus glanis) albino

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
IDK what this is. Never had a personal experience with such. In the visible area I see two fleshy growths. We don't know if there are others further down.

I'd ask Wes in earnest.

Neither am I familiar with Dimilin. Looked it up. Sounds like a real good stuff for specifically for anchor worms and fish lice both of which are parasitic crustaceans, not insects, nor worms.

I generally trust koivet's Dr. Johnson's advice: http://www.koivet.com/a_dimilin_argulus_anchorworm_koi_treatment.html

But an anchor worm would be visible and the area be inflamed - http://www.petmd.com/fish/conditions/parasitic/c_fi_anchor_worm A fish infected with anchor worms will have red and inflamed skin irritations. Take a closer look, and you can see the parasite's body sticking out, appearing like whitish-green threads. The fish will also rub or brush itself against objects, in an attempt to get rid of the anchor worm(s).

Fish lice move around AFAIK but in any case they are not colored as these bumps http://goldfish2care4.com/goldfish-diseases/lice.html They can cause extreme irritation as its hooks can get into the goldfish's gills and skin. They will look like grey-green or brownish slightly raised spots on the fish. You can also see the louses eye spots if you look more closely.

So initially, I don't think it is either.

Because the bumps exhibit the same innocuous skin tone as that of the wels, I'd guess these are some benign growths. But I would too do, if anything for prophylactic purposes, a treatment by dimilin and a general insecticide like metro+prazi+fenbendazole - this trio is what Wes uses and can be administered altogether.

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Didnt know u snuck 2 in without me knowin lol... :) Congrats!
Yeah, I did. Thanks, Sensei!

You're making it sound like I snuck two in past the goalie :D

Just trying to keep up with the Jones', ya know... Later is better than never...

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Yeah, I did. Thanks, Sensei!

You're making it sound like I snuck two in past the goalie :D

Just trying to keep up with the Jones', ya know... Later is better than never...
Haha...u already got more than the Jones' :) . def glad u got a cple before the ban...ive been getting worried i didnt order any more yet from Wes for a "backup".

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I am so dumbfounded right now. The bumps are gone. I have no idea what the hell is going on lol....ammonia still 0ppm nitrite 0ppm nitrates hardly readable. wednesday13 wednesday13 thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter

Screenshot_2016-07-18-17-13-26.png
Screenshot_2016-07-18-17-12-39.png

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I am so dumbfounded right now. The bumps are gone. I have no idea what the hell is going on lol....ammonia still 0ppm nitrite 0ppm nitrates hardly readable. wednesday13 wednesday13 thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter
You said the growths have always been there since you got the fish, no?

Anyway, either they move, which implies mobile parasites like lice (I'd not think so) or they were something else, like blisters (an allergic reaction for instance), or flaps of skin / mouth lining, sticky food particles, IDK.

Need more time and observations to attempt make any sense of it, IMHO.

Haha...u already got more than the Jones' :) . def glad u got a cple before the ban...ive been getting worried i didnt order any more yet from Wes for a "backup".
This talk of the ban has been ongoing for 10-15 years. Any new development of recent that would raise our fears?

I'd much prefer normal colored ones but Wes has not offered any of those in a few years now, it seems.

It's not the number or the quality or the number+quality that makes people wanna keep up with the Jones' :)

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Rats.

Because of the ban talk or because he doesn't want to anymore, I wonder... Will ask him.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
You said the growths have always been there since you got the fish, no?

Anyway, either they move, which implies mobile parasites like lice (I'd not think so) or they were something else, like blisters (an allergic reaction for instance), or flaps of skin / mouth lining, sticky food particles, IDK.

Need more time and observations to attempt make any sense of it, IMHO.

This talk of the ban has been ongoing for 10-15 years. Any new development of recent that would raise our fears?

I'd much prefer normal colored ones but Wes has not offered any of those in a few years now, it seems.

It's not the number or the quality or the number+quality that makes people wanna keep up with the Jones' :)
Havent heard anything new past Wes saying this may be the last batch he gets in... I had some of the reg wels he brought in in 2012. Albinos are much better lol :) ... i experienced canibolism with my batch of regs then the last one went down with a bad case of ich. I blame myself as that was in my years before autodrip systems.

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thanks, Russ.

I like natural.

Besides, any mutant, including albino, carries other gene mutations that are not as pleasant as the aesthetic looks... actually not pleasant at all, affecting health, statue, longevity, etc.

That's why when one or two parents are albino, the offspring is half-viable or less and the health problems and deformities multiply greatly.

Hence, I never understood this desire to get strangely colored animals, prominent for instance in Asian cultures, but to each their own, of course.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Thanks, Russ.

I like natural.

Besides, any mutant, including albino, carries other gene mutations that are not as pleasant as the aesthetic looks... actually not pleasant at all, affecting health, statue, longevity, etc.

That's why when one or two parents are albino, the offspring is half-viable or less and the health problems and deformities multiply greatly.

Hence, I never understood this desire to get strangely colored animals, prominent for instance in Asian cultures, but to each their own, of course.

I love me some albinos and color morphs, my fish taste is very Asian lol :) ...but u do wager a very good point as always. Never put much thought into health issues as ur sayin. Ironically i had both and the albino has made it through over the yrs for me where the regs only lasted a cple months to a year. Prob dumb luck and unrelated evidence to the bigger picture tho. Im gonna have 2 clear some space and and cross my fingers that Wes has any left from this last batch.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store