Myth: Mata Mata Need Shallow Water

ceeej31

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
New England
So lately I've been thinking about finally purchasing a Mata this year if I can find one for a decent price. While looking through the archives of this forum for inspiration for the enclosure I noticed a lot of the threads had people arguing that these turtles are poor swimmers and require very shallow tanks to be kept successfully. In these same threads there was usually just as many people claiming that this was untrue and that Chelus are strong swimmers.

I've personally seen one swimming in open water in excess of 10 feet deep in Brazil (couldn't see the bottom even with excellent visibility and a strong spotlight), I don't have any pictures of this sighting unfortunately because the turtle was too fast to catch and swam away before anyone could grab it. When I asked the guide if this behavior was unusual he said it was very common but more so at night. Looking around on google I found others saying the same thing. Even videos:

Furthermore this video of a German hobbyist's enclosure shows a large mata actively swimming around well off the bottom during a feeding. Also surprising to me is that the turtle seemed unfazed by what many would consider boisterous tankmates.

Clearly these animals do not require the super shallow tanks that many argue are necessary to thrive.

syddakyd

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2008
NY
IMO no turtle needs shallow water other than hatchlings. even the bottom walkers like deep water with either a slope or a large stump to walk to the surface. now I wouldn't put say a musk in a deep tank with a floating dock.....I would use the methods stated earlier

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
I don't know that they need shallow water, but the ones I've seen like to sit on the bottom and be able to reach the surface with their nose without having to swim to the surface. Not saying they can't swim but as ambush predators they like to sit and wait. They don't strike me as an overly active turtle. Looking into getting one myself.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store