Nandopis haitiensis (my little dream come true)

Freshwaterpredators

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
The Grotto
That is a sign of bloat bro. As soon as you notice them acting different, swelling up, white stringy poo, swimming off by themselves means bloat is coming. It may be too late now but start with the eposm food soak. Good luck. The best thing to do with these guys are to put them in a tank that they can grow to reach 4-5" without having to move them so you can reduce the amount of stress.

Aquatik

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2011
Toronto
Ya i figure its bloat. He is a bit swollen and just staying in one spot. But why the stress? He is by him self, 85 temp. My buddy has 15 with 50 umbee all the sam size in a 135, and seem ok.

So is it safe to put another fish in the same tank once i have removed him?

Freshwaterpredators

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
The Grotto
You'll be fine adding fish to the tank after. Stress is the biggest key factor in this species getting bloat. What you want to do is cut down as much possible stress as you can. All haits have hexamita and when they're healthy and stress free, their immune system keeps it at bay. As soon as you change environment, diet, or whatever they will have lil anxiety attacks lol which weakens their immune system allowing the hexamita to take over. It's like humans and staph.... Need to keep a balance until the haits reach 5" at that size your pretty much out of the woods and they are strong enough to maintain their own balance. Eventually your friend will loose everyone he has if he keeps the umbees with them. My advice is to remove umbees ASAP and expect some losses. I would treat with clout once I pull umbees as a preventative measure, just one dose. Then keep epsom available. Oh and maximize the amount of oxygen in the tank. After a month or so, you should be fine to grab another to bring home:)

Freshwaterpredators

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
The Grotto
No problem. Comes from experience:) youll learn the same after trial and error. you never know until you try:) good luck.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
You'll be fine adding fish to the tank after.
Just make sure that you have performed a large water change, given the substrate a good cleaning, and removed any/all traces of your sick fishes waste from the substrate. One of the ways that hexamita/spironucleus is transmitted in an aquarium is via a sick fishes feces. (as it contains numerous tiny flagellates that cause this condition)

Here's a link to the sticky on treating hex/spiro with epsom salt.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...-quot-Bloat-quot-aka-Spironucleus-(1-Viewing)

HTH

Aquatik

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2011
Toronto
RD dont say that. My buddy has 15 nastys with 50 beautiful umbee. Are you saying if the nastys get bloat the umbee can be in danger??

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
My experience with haits is, they must be raised separately, from each other and any other cichlid. To separate it, and try to save it once is has bloated is probably too late....in nature a hait needs at least a square meter unto itself, and if another ventures in, it is chased out. There is no where to go in an aquarium.
Putting 15 together, or 15 with a dominant different species, in a tank usually means 15 dead haits.
I believe dividing a tank into separate compartments, with a flowerpot/cave in each compartment to allow it to hide is the best solution if you want to keep live ones. But there I go rambling again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store