Nandopsis Haitiensis

Freshwaterpredators

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
The Grotto
So, finally got round to housing a couple of Black Nastys. Always wanted to keep these fish. Super excited to watch them grow, hoping any chance of bloat has passed by.
They're in a 500L tank at 29c, 125L water changes twice weekly with aquarium salts added regularly.
Got them at barely 1 inch (although advertised as 5cm) in November. One has grown to 3.5 inches and is beefing up, whilst the other is 3 inches and of slighter build. From day 1 they've been fed algae discs and bug bite granules.
Not sure about sexing, as the larger one changes colour regularly. Dark when territorial, light when I am near the tank or when feeding.

View attachment 1514738

View attachment 1514739

View attachment 1514740

View attachment 1514741

View attachment 1514742
I see a pair there buddy. Very nice!!

Siosalach

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2017
Kent, UK
I see a pair there buddy. Very nice!!
They were both male, unfortunately. The smaller of the two was severely growth impaired, exhibiting tail and facial deformities. Succumbed to the dominant male's bullying at the 4" mark.
Visually sexing these fish at juvenile stage is a lottery. Jean-Baptiste was pure black from 2" - 3" and convinced he was a female. Still showed female dorsal characteristics on and off until the 5" mark.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Love this species, had some juvies at one point and regretfully got rid of them. Will attempt them again. Very tricky to sex for sure

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store