Natural habitat shots

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
For those interested in creating biotopes, some pics from north and South American cichlid habitats
!st, some pics from the Cenotes of Mexico where we find species such a Rocio (JDs), Thorichthys FMs) and Mayaheros.
1709472200367.png1709472233711.png1709472257807.png
Next, a tributary that is part of the Magdalena river system in Colombia, where we find Geophagus, Acaras, and Kronoheros
IMG_0245.jpegGPExportPhoto.jpegIMG_0457.jpegIMG_0471.jpeg
Below Panama, where I find and collect Andinoacara, Darienheros, and Isthmoheros
ad1b63eb-b3f4-4892-a60b-a13212dafad8.jpegd9fd02b3-17e1-4163-bfcf-2fa2a64ac3f5.jpegIMG_4110.jpeg

Last edited:

ken31cay

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2022
Cayman Islands
Below is a fishbase.org list of the freshwater and brackish water fish found here in the Cayman Islands. It's a very short list of species and none that I care to build an aquarium around. I'm surrounded by marine fish and other marine resources but I simply have no interest in keeping a marine aquarium. Go figure.

Anchoa parva (anchovy-type fish)
Carcharhinus leucas (Bull shark)
Cyprinodon riverendi (pupfish type)
Cyprinodon variegatus variegatus (minnow-type fish)
Gambusia puncticulata (guppy-type fish)
Gambusia xanthosoma (guppy-type fish)
Limia caymanensis (guppy-type fish)
Megalops atlanticus (Tarpon)
Rivulus marmoratus (killifish-type)

Last edited:

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Cyprinodon riverendi (pupfish type)
Cyprinodon variegatus variegatus (minnow-type fish)
Gambusia puncticulata (guppy-type fish)
Gambusia xanthosoma (guppy-type fish)
Limia caymanensis (guppy-type fish)
Rivulus marmoratus (killifish-type)
Being biotope anal, I would think a community tank with the above species (even tho they aren't the most striking), and planted with local mangrove trees would be an interesting venture.
Because I live on a tiny island, there aren't really any freshwater fish here either, so I need to take jaunts to the mainland to collect mine.
But there are shrimp that live in the small stream here, and I often find mangrove pods washed up, and add them to my sump with the shrimp;
IMG_1892.jpegIMG_6552.jpegIMG_6567.jpegIMG_2915.jpeg
IMG_5347.jpeg
Above, red mangrove pod, below a bunch of black mangrove pods
IMG_4343.jpeg
I plant the mangroves in sand filled bamboo stems, that also commonly wash up.
IMG_0152.jpeg
Now that the saplings are getting taller, some over 2 ft, the roots are breaking thru the bamboo stems, and just resting in the sump floor.
IMG_0426.jpeg
I've been thinking about trying to plant some of the bull rushes (hair grass) that live in the local stream bed, in the sump.
IMG_3798.jpeg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Went on a little recon to the north end of Panama, the Caribbean side.
It only takes about an hour to drive across the entire country from the south end of the Panama Canal to the north end.
The canal connect with the joining of the Chagres River, connected by Lake Gatun.
IMG_8241.jpeg
The Chagres northern mouth.
IMG_8253.jpeg
Lake Gatun below
IMG_2036.jpegIMG_1948.jpeg
The southern end of the canal is the home of Panama City, quite the contrast.
IMG_0299.jpegIMG_3796.jpeg

IMG_3749.jpeg

ken31cay

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2022
Cayman Islands
I went to Panama twice with my wife a few years back. Of course every latin american country has it's own culture and feel, but I found that the North American influences seemed to be quite a bit more pronounced there than what my experience has been in other latin american countries. It was more 'americanized'. That stood out to me because I guess I wasn't expecting it. But it was a nice place, we had a good time. We took a tour to the Panama Canal but mostly just stayed in Panama City, drove around a little in a rent a car, relaxed.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

ken31cay

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2022
Cayman Islands
I spend quite a bit of time recently in Honduras since we built a home there just outside La Ceiba. My wife is from there. Every time we drive into the city we cross a river (the Cangrejal) and one smaller stream, and I think about the cichlids there, especially Honduran Red Points. I don't have an aquarium yet in the house but you can bet I have plans in the future. I've always loved getting my feet wet and catching fish with nets, which I've done from when I was a boy.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
I found that the North American influences seemed to be quite a bit more pronounced there than what my experience has been in other latin american countries. It was more 'americanized'.
Agree, there are some cities here, you'd think you were in a suburb of Miami.
Although as the country get further and further away from those years the US owned the Panama Canal the less Gringo-ish the country becomes,.
On the island where I live, you might think you'd stepped 100 years in the past, except for the tourists.
IMG_0954.jpega1e11915-7eb1-438c-8be4-5c77aa250d73.jpeg

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Agree, there are some cities here, you'd think you were in a suburb of Miami.
Although as the country get further and further away from those years the US owned the Panama Canal the less Gringo-ish the country becomes,.
On the island where I live, you might think you'd stepped 100 years in the past, except for the tourists.
View attachment 1537365View attachment 1537366
Low key if any woman dressed like that in Europe, they would be seriously looked down upon. Its funny how us Americans don't seem to mind that at all.

Reactions: ken31cay
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store