Need a Bichir ID'd

USMCSS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
Valhalla
Hello everybody,

So about 10 years ago I was very much active with the fish keeping hobby but due to reenlisting in the Marines, I ended up giving up all my tanks and fish. Well yesterday I bought a 125 gal with all the equipment and it came with some fish, which are actually worth more than what I paid for the whole setup so I scored big. My favorite is the 6" clown loach and an about 13" long bichir. Problem is I'm not really sure what kind he is so I'm posting a pic so you guys can help me ID him. His tail fin looks like it's missing some of it and I'm assuming it's due to the large Oscars he was being housed with. I'm thinking he's a large Senegal but I let you guys figure it out. Also, what he may be worth if I was too have bought him separate. Thanks ahead of time!

Fish 2.jpg

USMCSS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
Valhalla
See that's the problem for me too. His colors don't match up to anything I could find on the internet.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
thats an ornate lol. Colors could be due to long line of captive breeding, or there are ornate hybrids floating around though rarer in the hobby. but agreed with above, Dr B or any of the other 500 extremely qualified authorities on polys will tell you for sure.

my measely two cents is just ornate however.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
P.s. a clown loach over 5" is worth it regardless haha, the tail does seem deformed on the poly, but hey hes a good lookin' bichir anyhow.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
get that loach like 5-6 other clowns to squad up with, you and the loach will be way happier. a mob of loaches=the best school of fish someone can own IMO

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store