NEED HELP ASAP!

USMCSS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
Valhalla
My 125 gal is coming apart in a vertical corner seam and I can't find anybody to cut a piece of glass today to add into the inside corner to create a new seam. I can however have a 1/8" thick piece of acrylic cut to size at Lowe's. Will acrylic work just as well?

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
is it leaking?

USMCSS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
Valhalla
Oh ya, the entire seam was coming apart. It started at the top and was pulled apart about 4". I drained it yesterday and put the fish in a temp tank and have the majority of the seam cleaned out and prepped.

USMCSS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
Valhalla
I plan on siliconing the seam back together and then using a 21 3/4x2"x1/4" to create a new seam on top of it. I have a 24" wood clamp to put pressure on it while it cures.

Tank.jpg

USMCSS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
Valhalla
Sorry, that was supposed to say it was pulled apart 4" DOWN the seam, not 4" apart from the seam.

Big Fish Freak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2014
USA
I had a 60 gallon tank do that to me and I just cleaned both edges really well, applied silicone and then applied pressure and let it sit for a few days and problem solved. I did also apply a nice bead of silicone to the inside corner of the tank as well, but after applying pressure to the edges to hold them together, this way the silicone on the inside holds the two pieces together from a different angle. Hope this helps.

Also, I know that HD sells small pieces of glass if you wanted to buy a piece and use that for your new seam, but the silicone should work just fine.

Reactions: USMCSS

USMCSS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
Valhalla
I plan on resealing the whole corner. Going to pick up the strongest aquarium safe adhesive today. Momentive RTV108 and I have a large clamp that I'll be putting on it while it cures for 72 hours

Tank 7.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store