Need help for my sick floridA gar

Troy.m

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2015
Not sure what wrong with him I think maybe his slime coat got damaged any ideas? Really don't want to lose him, water parameters are all fine oh is a little high but I heard they don't mind high oh much. WOULD LOVE ANY HELP :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Looks like some tail rot going on there.I'd do a water change as a starting point.Is the water warm enough?

Troy.m

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2015
Looks like some tail rot going on there.I'd do a water change as a starting point.Is the water warm enough?
Bumped the water up to 82 I added salt but some people say that does more damage than good so I won't do that again. Plus I do Wc every Friday about 30% each time. I've done 2 this week. Tank mates are 2 8 inch bichir and a fire eel, any ideas or just keep it clean?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I take it you are referring to aquarium salt?About the only way I can see the adding of salt doing any harm is if those particular fish don't take well to it and I dont keep those types so I'm not sure.Is thete a chance that one of the others could have bitten the gar?

Troy.m

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2015
I take it you are referring to aquarium salt?About the only way I can see the adding of salt doing any harm is if those particular fish don't take well to it and I dont keep those types so I'm not sure.Is thete a chance that one of the others could have bitten the gar?
Yes I had a featherfin catfish I just gave away back to the lfs it chases my bichirs so I figured it's possible he could have chewed at his slime coat while he slept on the bottom I also saw it nip at my eels tail it was fine for a year but just this week became aggressive and I didn't want any of that lol :eek:

Troy.m

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2015
Yes I had a featherfin catfish I just gave away back to the lfs it chases my bichirs so I figured it's possible he could have chewed at his slime coat while he slept on the bottom I also saw it nip at my eels tail it was fine for a year but just this week became aggressive and I didn't want any of that lol :eek:
Well just woke up and he was dead??? I have no idea what could have killed him so fast.. I was treating with melafix and he seemed ok besides not eating then he just died? Any ideas ??

LONE_WOLF

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2013
Rancho Cucamonga
Well just woke up and he was dead??? I have no idea what could have killed him so fast.. I was treating with melafix and he seemed ok besides not eating then he just died? Any ideas ??
Looked bacterial. what type im unsure but that didnt happen overnight just the symptoms started showing right before it died. Be careful using melafix or a pimafix on species that breath air. The fumes from these can burn their lung.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
normally just keep water clean, 80-85F and add salt is good enough for it. Melafix and pimafix can kill them like LONE_WOLF said.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store