need help from experts

kingflowerhorn

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2016
I need help guy's
my lake tanganyika cichlids are suffering from ich(white spots) maybe, because there is no visible white spots on them
particularly my 2 leleupi scratching on rocks
and my frontosa also not looks well but all my cichlids eats well and behave fine except scratching...
I know we can treat ich by salt/temperature
But will lake tanganyika cichlids tolerate warm temperature
Please help me
should I increase temperature with salt
or add some medicine without temperature
and more thing my ammonia level is little bit high will this lead cichlids to scratch against rocks
any help greatly appreciated
thanks in advance

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
I'm no expert by any means, but I can answer one of your questions.
The lake varies between 76 and 78F, so I'm assuming they can take 80-82 as long as it's not a long period of time.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I'm no expert by any means, but I can answer one of your questions.
The lake varies between 76 and 78F, so I'm assuming they can take 80-82 as long as it's not a long period of time.
That. Do frequent water changes for the ammonia and do it with salt and increased temp. Short term should not be an issue to have higher temps

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I'd work on the ammonia first. If they're acting strange because of that then cracking up the temperature and dosing them with salt won't help.

Reactions: deeda and Hendre

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Something that may or may not be worth asking is,what substrate do you have in your tank.
Some substrates such as coral sand can sometimes cause fish to act this way.I only ask as you say there are no visible spots and the fish are other wise acting normal.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Pretty much your fish getting ammonia burn and cause them slashing, do water change and monitor ammonia before adding salt, rise up temp.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Pretty much your fish getting ammonia burn and cause them slashing, do water change and monitor ammonia before adding salt, rise up temp.
and by water change, he means like 70-80% if you're doing it to get rid of ammonia. If you don't take out at least half to 3/4 of the water it will just build right back up again

Reactions: Hendre

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
What is the tank size, filtration, stock numbers and how long has the tank been established

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store