Need Help ID'ing this Cat

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Picked this cat up recently from Jeff Rapps as Trachycorystes sp. Golden. She looks to be a female and looks like she could be Trachy Trachy with her protruding lower jaw and general body shape but her coloration is definitely unique. While not Golden she is a dark Tan with some brown splotches a far cry from the Trachy's typical Black coloration.

I'd like to get her correctly identified since I have been for awhile been trying to breed my Trach Trachy's and this female maybe just the thing I need. She could be incentive for my male Trachy to make it happen or this new Tan Trachy may just be more receptive then my current female. Plus she represents creating a possible new cf of Trachys. Without knowing the genetics within one or two generations I might have more and maybe even possibly lighter colored Trachy's, maybe even piedbalds. Then again she's just 10 inches and she could totally just turn and take on typical Trachy coloration. Anyway I'd like to get some opinions so please fire away.
IMG_4460#2.JPG
IMG_4490#2.JPG

Reactions: dudefish82

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Not sure but your trashy is very interesting. There's a pic on planet catfish of one with some color on its side but not sure. I assume the other pics could be the same but they lack that gold color. Here's the link. Be interesting to see if it changes color or stays the same. Nice pickup!

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/image.php

Reactions: koltsixx

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Not sure but your trashy is very interesting. There's a pic on planet catfish of one with some color on its side but not sure. I assume the other pics could be the same but they lack that gold color. Here's the link. Be interesting to see if it changes color or stays the same. Nice pickup!

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/image.php
Thanks, unfortunately the link isn't working so I can't see the cat you thought mine maybe. How ever Marc van Arc and Jools suggested it maybe Trachycorystes sp. 1 http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=1778 Is that also the species you thought and linked?

I'm actually hoping for her to get lighter or maybe even go piebald since I've heard of a Trachy go from gold to black to eventually piebald. That Trachy and the following pic was owned by Jmorash of predatoryfish.

Great setup and lighting! Love it! What type is the pike? Beautiful
Thanks man, I appreciate it. The pike is Crenicichla Zebrina and is rare and expensive but a large number of them showed up recently in the market. Currently I believe Shark Aquarium, Snookn21 on Aquabid and of freshwatertropicalfishonline and Wes Rare Fish on here may still have some in stock. If you like pikes check out the pike section from time to time I maybe sharing some rare and beautiful pick ups in the near future and the section doesn't get the attention it deserves considering some of the nice stock shared there already.

Reactions: justarn

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
The pic I posted wasn't the piebald. But like woefully can mentioned....awesome to see the transformation.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
That piebald is pretty dope, hope your's ends up like that.
Thanks man that's what I'm hoping too but I have a feeling she isn't gonna change. I don't think she'll get lighter or darker but will remain the same but who knows about her offspring if she has any.

The pic I posted wasn't the piebald. But like woefully can mentioned....awesome to see the transformation.
I know I was talking about Trachycorystes sp.1 I just provided a link but no no pic to Trachy sp.1 because the only available image I can find of it is on planetcatfish.

The piebald is just my extremely wishful thinking.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store