Need help with feeding Florida/Spotted gar

yourbestfriend

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2008
My house
ok so usually i feed my gar feeders about 2 times a week and the rest of the time he eats brine shrimp when i feed my other fish. i know the shrimp doesnt fill him up because he can eat 4 feeders in less than 10 minutes, so i was wondering whats somethin i could feed him in between trips to the lfs for feeders. any suggestions?

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
please run a search on gar feeding and you will come up with plenty of threads and info on switching gars off feeders and several options of alternative foods. there is plenty of info already out there, just a matter of digging a bit deeper for it--
--solomon

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
please run a search on gar feeding and you will come up with plenty of threads and info on switching gars off feeders and several options of alternative foods. there is plenty of info already out there, just a matter of digging a bit deeper for it--
--Richard

That was an easy post.....

yourbestfriend

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2008
My house
i dont want to get him of of feeders. i was just wondering other stuff to feed him.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
yourbestfriend;1977298; said:
i dont want to get him of of feeders. i was just wondering other stuff to feed him.
feeders are generally unhealthy for captive fishes, and several better alternatives exist for gars. if you're continuing with a staple of feeders, you're not providing the best diet for the fish, and are likely contributing some detriment to the fish.

regardless, i think it's pretty clear that running a search will answer your questions, this stuff has been posted several times, so it's generally suggested to search for previously posted information as opposed to repeating the same stuff over and over. good luck--
--solomon

yourbestfriend

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2008
My house
E_americanus;1977676; said:
feeders are generally unhealthy for captive fishes, and several better alternatives exist for gars. if you're continuing with a staple of feeders, you're not providing the best diet for the fish, and are likely contributing some detriment to the fish.

regardless, i think it's pretty clear that running a search will answer your questions, this stuff has been posted several times, so it's generally suggested to search for previously posted information as opposed to repeating the same stuff over and over. good luck--
--solomon
i did a search when u told me the first time. i found some good info. thanks for the suggestion. and i wasnt contradicting Polypterus i was just stating that my plan wasnt to completley get him off feeders.

And on that note, i thought it was only goldfish that were unheathly to use as feeder fish? i thought guppies and rosey reds were ok?

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
yourbestfriend;1977748; said:
i did a search when u told me the first time. i found some good info. thanks for the suggestion. and i wasnt contradicting Polypterus i was just stating that my plan wasnt to completley get him off feeders.

And on that note, i thought it was only goldfish that were unheathly to use as feeder fish? i thought guppies and rosey reds were ok?
guppies and rosies are slightly better than goldfish in some ways, but in others are worse. rosies are quite prone to bacterial infections which could easily be transferred to gars depending on the particular pathogen; guppies are often afflicted with ich to some degree, and although the cases of gars getting ich are relatively uncommon, it is a potential threat to them and their tankmates (that and it would take quite a few guppies or rosies to satiate a decent-sized gar...and that only concentrates potential pathogens). hopefully that helps explain part of the issue with feeders (all of them are capable of transmitting parasites other than ich as well).--
--solomon

yourbestfriend

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2008
My house
E_americanus;1977855; said:
guppies and rosies are slightly better than goldfish in some ways, but in others are worse. rosies are quite prone to bacterial infections which could easily be transferred to gars depending on the particular pathogen; guppies are often afflicted with ich to some degree, and although the cases of gars getting ich are relatively uncommon, it is a potential threat to them and their tankmates (that and it would take quite a few guppies or rosies to satiate a decent-sized gar...and that only concentrates potential pathogens). hopefully that helps explain part of the issue with feeders (all of them are capable of transmitting parasites other than ich as well).--
--solomon
alright thanks a lot

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store