Need help with setting up a overflow box for a 300 gallon

Nyczbubba

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2015
Long Island, NY
Hi everyone, let me introduce myself. My name is Brian, I have been lurking this forum for a few years and finally I got a tank where I can keep some Monster fish. I bought a 96x24x30 tank 300 gallons. It is a tenecor acrylic tank 1" thick non drilled. So i wanted to run a 75 gallon sump for this tank. Plans are a submerged refugium with filter socks. Haven't decided how i would set it up until i actually get the sump as in what media and placement. So i was planning on running a hang on overflow box from eshopps with the U tube model 1800. Says its rated up to 300 gallons. What is your take on this overflow box? I know an internal would be best, but I haven't been sold on drilling the tank yet. Thanks in advance

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
Run 2 of them. They are very reliable but if by chance something where to happen to break the siphon like a crack in the U tube or debris clogging one, your going to have a mess. I had a non drilled 300 at one time I ran a CPR and an Eshopps

Nyczbubba

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2015
Long Island, NY
Run 2 of them. They are very reliable but if by chance something where to happen to break the siphon like a crack in the U tube or debris clogging one, your going to have a mess. I had a non drilled 300 at one time I ran a CPR and an Eshopps
So did you have 4 tubes coming down into your sump?

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
Yes I had 4 1" pipes coming into the sump Do yourself a favor I have seen the cheapo ebay ones in use and they don't even flow half of what advertised I ran 2 1200gph overflows and a mag 24 pump on my 300g with a 55g sump and a heavy stock with no problems. I would have liked to run a 75g sump but the way the stand was built I could not get it in

Nyczbubba

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2015
Long Island, NY
Yes I had 4 1" pipes coming into the sump Do yourself a favor I have seen the cheapo ebay ones in use and they don't even flow half of what advertised I ran 2 1200gph overflows and a mag 24 pump on my 300g with a 55g sump and a heavy stock with no problems. I would have liked to run a 75g sump but the way the stand was built I could not get it in
Did you T off the tubes before entering the sump? Or just had 4 drain right into the sump. Im actually considering the internal to avoid the possible chance of flooding. I guess i should find somethong rate over 2000 gph

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
There is a good write up somewhere on here from an old member "chompers". About flow rates thru bulkheads and PVC. You should be ok with 2 1.5" PVC drains I don't know what size bulkhead that is off the top of my head if your going to drill and use internals

Reactions: Nyczbubba

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
im using it now. no issues. i had an extra U tube that i stuck on there to increase the flow. i am happy with it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store