Nemo the Zebra Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
If you can ship him i will buy him as soon as he can be shipped and if not i will consider driving from Detroit if he is still avalible in about a month. He will have a 450 gallon quarantine tank and a 120000 gallon pool for a tank.

Last edited:

zachsta18

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2011
I'd be willing to do a Thursday pickup if that works for you. Feel free to message me.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
I'd be willing to do a Thursday pickup if that works for you. Feel free to message me.
How can a 17 or 18 year old afford to house and pay for food for a zebra shark?

Tbh I'm fairly confident no one except Zoodiver Zoodiver or turbo253 turbo253 can house a shark that gets larger than yourself.

zachsta18

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2011
How can a 17 or 18 year old afford to house and pay for food for a zebra shark?

Tbh I'm fairly confident no one except Zoodiver Zoodiver or turbo253 turbo253 can house a shark that gets larger than yourself.
I'm not as much about display tanks as I am about the animals themselves and the mechanics behind these systems, so I'm good with pools and smaller viewing windows to save cash rather than spending thousands on glass/acrylic. I have been breeding horseshoe crabs for a few years now, with proper permits to continue my research, so setting up and maintaining systems that total thousands of gallons is not new or unusual for me -- that's why I joined MFK in 2011.

He says this shark is 9 inches. All research about zebra sharks indicate they have slow growth rate, but don't particularly quantify it, so let's compare it to a nurse shark where males mature over 10-15 years and females mature over 15-20 years according to the IUCN Red List. I have an 8-foot diameter round setup today, with a system volume of about 1,500 gallons. Let's say it reaches maturity within 7-10 years (they mature at around 4.5 feet). That means this shark can stay in this growout tank for at least the next 5 years while I set up a much larger enclosure.

As for being able to provide that enclosure, I can't say much about the details, but what I can tell you is that I'm an entrepreneur receiving funding to build out a 100,000+ gallon facility for mating animals for various conservation and biomedical aspects. That facility will be finished within the next 18 months. As I said, I'm on the science and management end of things, but I am also very business-oriented; it was natural to incorporate my passion with my career, especially since I have the network to back up the business end (and billionaire backing to boot) and the passion to drive forward.

And, worst-case-scenario I have a 45,000 gallon swimming pool. I know -- people talk about converting pools all the time but never actually do it. I've converted above-ground pools before, so why not in-ground? And yep -- climate controlled and in-door is part of this consideration. Additionally, I work with scientists at aquariums all over the country, from the National Aquarium in Baltimore to the California Academy of Sciences. Absolute, worst possible outcome is that I either find a collector looking to purchase this shark (people sell fish/sharks all the time, and I have friends who work in aquarium fish management and distribution) or I put my feelers out to various public aquaria and see if anybody is looking for a nearly mature zebra shark (as many aquaria are, especially for captive-raised thanks to new breeding and conservation initiatives). Again, though, this is the absolute, worse-case-scenario if EVERYTHING else fails; it's a complete backup plan, and not one that I intend to use at all.

I have found that age is not much of a factor when it comes to success and achievement, as the defining elements are drive and passion; being 18 does not equate to being unable to care for such a beautiful creature, just as being 30 or 40 of 50 does not equate to being able to keep this shark. And I know that I am the outlier to the rule, as many 18 year olds do not have the experience and resources to be able to handle such an animal, but I assure you that I would never let this shark suffer, ever. I'm well aware of the commitment I am making to this animal by caring for it.

Plus, they can live to an estimated 25-30 years -- who better to take on such a long-living commitment than somebody a little bit younger who has the necessary experience and will be growing alongside the shark?

If you have any more questions, let me know. I appreciate the due-diligence you're taking, TheKid, as it is important to ensure somebody has the right parameters to actually keep something that requires such intense resources.

ToxicWolf666

Feeder Fish
Jun 18, 2015
With shipping it is $350.00 and will be overnight. Or the shark can be picked up. Though I can not be entirely sure that he will still be available in about a month

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store