Neon Tetra breeding log...

korbin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2011
columbia, mo
So what Is going on with this project now that it is a year later? I read this thread from front to back and then BOOM, dead? How did it turn out?

Smertrios

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2007
USA
My neons died on me =( They were from florida and when I got them most looked normal but there were quite a few odd shaped ones. Thinking they were ok and just "odd shaped" I kept them all and everything was fine at first but I think something I did stressed them and they all got a disease taking anywhere from days to a month to die. I am guessing I really dont know what happened but it could have been that the odd shaped ones had a disease and died but not before the other fishes had a chance to nip at the remains.

Before the mass die off I was well on my way to having loads and loads of neons. I had a few good spawns giving me 20+ young each but after the disease I gave it up at least for the time being. I have to be better prepared to deal with sick fish before I try the more disease prone varieties again.

korbin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2011
columbia, mo
Sorry to hear that. Neons can be touchy. I've had similar experiences with wild green neons that died for NO reason. Purchased 35 of them for a 75 gallon tanks that had been setup and completely cycled for awhile housing some small rams and apistos with a really nice/rare goby. The water parameters were perfect, I use an RO/DI filter unit for all my tanks to get the water parameters as close to perfect as possible and within 2 weeks I only had 6 left. Those 6 are still hanging strong and are now triple the size and beautiful. Sorry again for your loss. Are you breeding another species with all those tanks you accumulated?

Smertrios

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2007
USA
Thanks, I was not happy with the die off. I have a 10 gallon tank of scuds and a tank with some plants all the other 10 gallon tanks are empty. I have a 55 gallon tank with marbled crayfish that produces quite a few crayfish and another 55 gallon tank with a pair of brown hoplo catfish which might give me some young fish someday.

Now that I think about it I have 5 gallon buckets with snails (x2), a small rubbermaid where I am experimenting with blackworms and some rubbermaids with hatching marbled crayfish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store