MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I've wondered why they haven't come up with something like this sooner.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I've wondered why they haven't come up with something like this sooner.
They have been around a long time, just not for on road use. Some of the front end loaders we used had them. The issue faced by tire manufactures for developing this technology for commercial on road use is, weight, high rolling resistance, durability, comfort, handling and of course cost. Weight and rolling resistance directly effect gas milage. Solid tires are also tough on suspensions, so that needs to be addressed. Solid tires up til now are much less responsive than pneumatic tires and lack the road hugging ability of thier air filled counter parts. They have also been less durable (tread life) and cost more. All these reasons are why solid tires for passenger cars have not been available up til now. Maybe these things have been ironed out if not I doubt you will be seeing them on many cars in the immediate future. Big lifted F150s used on construction sites, logging roads or primarily built for off road use may find them useful.

PS, I know this stuff because I had this conversation with the tire salesman at work that sells the solid loader tires. I also wondered why that weren't available for cars.

Last edited:

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern North Carolina
Oddball post: 7305074 said:
Oh, man!? That is awesome!!! All the little skinks and other wild critters looking for warmth at night will be more than happy to climb into their very own heated condo cubby!
Then you can chauffer the befuddled lot of them around for a few hours before they get ejected during the EXECUTION of a tight turning maneuver!

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
been following this, they did have as a hub and wheel, great ideal but do not see it being practical yet for every day drive, yet. Yet being the key word here.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
They have been around a long time, just not for on road use. Some of the front end loaders we used had them. This issued faced by tire manufactures for developing this technology for commercial on road use is, weight, high rolling resistance, durability, comfort, handling and of course cost. Weight and rolling resistance directly effect gas milage. Solid tires are also tough on suspensions, so that needs to be addressed. Solid tires up til now are much less responsive than pneumatic tires and lack the road hugging ability of thier air filled counter parts. They have also been less durable (tread life) and cost more. All these reasons are why solid tires for passenger cars have not been available up til now.
I did not mention it in my post but I figured that the weight of such tires would be an issue.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store