Never ever try to setup a canister in a hurry

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
YouTube said setting up a fx6 in 20mins and under. I figure I got 90mins to spare so why not. I got everything connected then realized I forgot to tighten the clamp.1gal of water leaking thru my stand onto the new laminated floor. Shi+++++++. Sorry I have to vent.

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
You are lucky. I've heard horror story that someone set up a canister and went for a day trip and returned to find fish bouncing in few inches of water. I personally don't trust any canister as it is a pressurized system with many clamps vulnerable to leak that can drain the tank.

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
I usually put a pail or bucket underneath all my canister but I couldn't one in my garage big enough for the fx6. Time for me to shop for a pail before I attempt to set it up again.

Canisters are that bad. I see them like a car that require tune up servicing. Just change your gaskets and o rings out every 4-5 years before bad things happen. My Eheims pro2 2028 been running since 2008.

Btw, the pump of the fx6 is really powerful that's it scared the fish on the initial start.

Hoplo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
New Zealand
Ouch, setting up a new type of canister for the first time can be hard to do in a rush, but once you know what you are doing it is easier to do with speed.

And yea replacing the rubber seals periodically is a very good idea.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store