New 135 gallon aquarium stocking

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
I have angels in with my severums. I also have a ctenopoma acutirostre (African leaf fish). They're pretty cool and unusual. You just wouldn't be able to keep any small fish with them because they'll eat them. Here's a pic of mine. He's about 7 years old and lost a lot of his great color but still a very neat fish.
CAM00256-1.jpg

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
He was about a year old in that video. You can see how much he's changed. I just love his big puppy dog eyes. One of the very few fish I've ever bought at Petsmart. Somewhere on my home computer I have pics of when he was just a baby. They're strikingly beautiful when little.

lnk89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2012
canada
Picked up the tank yesterday and got it all set up and filled it with water. I didn't have enough water conditioner for the tank so I just filled it up with tap water. How long before does it take for the chlorine to evaporate?

The tank came with two marineland LED lights, one flickers after being on for a few minutes. I tried opening it up and checking the wires, but I couldn't find any loose wires. What are some good lighting options that won't break the bank and be good for some low light plants?

IMG_20150905_202146.jpg

Reactions: convict360

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Satellite LED. I'm about to get some myself. On their website, they have PAR values at various depths for each model they sell.

lnk89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2012
canada
Satellite LED. I'm about to get some myself. On their website, they have PAR values at various depths for each model they sell.
Those lights look pretty good. I will have to see if I can find some for a good price.

I ended up having more time over the weekend than I thought I would so we started the process of moving some fish over.

I went out and bought some more water conditioner and added that. Then I took all of the plants, decorations, rocks and plants from the 65 and 36 gallon tank and put them in the new tank. I still feel it looks a little empty so I will be searching online to find some cheap driftwood and rocks to add to the tank.

For lights, I moved a light I was using on a small exo terra tank onto the fish tank. It has a 6500K CFL bulb in it and works pretty well. On the other side I have the one working marineland LED. I will see how they do at keeping the plants I have in there alive.

We moved the fish from the 36 gallon into the new tank. I am hoping the bacteria on the driftwood, rocks and plants will be enough to start off the tank without anything bad happening to the fish. Tank inhabitants are:
1x albino BN pleco
1x red tail shark
1x kribensis
1x glass catfish

Next weekend I may move a couple of the fish from the 65 gallon over. Depending on how water tests come out. So far the 4 fish haven't been able to make enough waste to measure any ammonia in the tank, but I will continue with daily water testing to make sure there are no ammonia spikes.

For tank lid I think my only option is to get the glass cut and make my own. MY 65 gallon tank is 18" wide so my plan is to use the same width of those pieces of glass and just have the length as 6ft. Anyone know of any good glass shops in coquitlam?

Future stock list so far is:
1X gold severum
5X Angel fish
6X denison barbs
1X zig zag eel
1X BN pleco
1X gold spotted pleco
1X green phantom pleco

And picture of the tank with all the rocks and plants.

IMG_20150907_150617.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
Nice start to the tank.

You should be able to get the glass tops from drsfostersmith.com for about $50 depending on your tank. My 135 has one big glass brace in the middle and I use a 2 piece glass top. My 150 (same footprint as the 135) has 2 plastic braces spaced evenly apart and uses a 3 piece glass top set. Both of these are available thru drsfostersmith.

lnk89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2012
canada
Nice start to the tank.

You should be able to get the glass tops from drsfostersmith.com for about $50 depending on your tank. My 135 has one big glass brace in the middle and I use a 2 piece glass top. My 150 (same footprint as the 135) has 2 plastic braces spaced evenly apart and uses a 3 piece glass top set. Both of these are available thru drsfostersmith.
Thanks for the tip. I will check them out. This tank has no centre brace so its been difficult to find a lid so far.

Some close ups of the tank.

IMG_20150908_172531.jpg

IMG_20150908_172538.jpg

IMG_20150908_172546.jpg

IMG_20150908_172555.jpg

IMG_20150908_172601.jpg

IMG_20150908_172608.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store