Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

New 75gal Setup suggestions

Discussion in 'Setup and Filtration' started by geeah, Apr 11, 2012.

1. geeah

geeah MFK Members

Jan 23, 2014
      Looking to do a CA wet pet single fish and maybe one pleco. Would like to do something a bit different like a Red Tiger Mota, Loiselle or even a Carpinte

Standard 75gal tank.
      For Filtration I really want to try an FX5 as I have never owned one, but for the price I could get 2 xp2/3. Not really into the HOB filters as they tend to be noisy. I want a quiet filter.

Heating most likely going with a ebo jager but might try one of those Aqueon ones. Has anyone had issues with one of these heaters with large aggressive CA's as far as the fish breaking the heater.

Probably add a power head for water movement and aeration.

So basically looking for suggestions/advice on Filtration, Heating and also any stocking suggestions for a not so common CA cichlid wet pet that would live comfortably in a 75.

2. Hot Slime

Hot Slime MFK Members

Jan 27, 2013
      You could do a sump and hide the heater in there. Otherwise fx5 sounds good, and so does the Eheim heater.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

3. lp85253

lp85253 MFK Members

Today at 3:17 PM
      fx 5 is plenty of filtration ,but you could probably do 2 med. sized fluval or renas cheaper.as far as heaters go go as small as you can if (when )they fail they tend to stay on all the time ,so a small heater wont fry your fish.I just buy topfin heaters for the lifetime warranty. as far as fish go viejas make good single fish ,red devils and oscars too maybe even a jaguar cichlid

4. PDRed302

PDRed302 MFK Members

May 2, 2015
      The Aqueon heaters can take the abuse, my O's have thrown mine around a time or two. I wouldn't buy anything but one of them now.

As far as filtration an FX5 is the way to go, that way if you ever decide to upgrade, you'll be covered.

As far as fish when it comes to CA, I couldn't help you on a single fish choice. I think that setup would be sweet with a pair of Salvini. :)

5. ibz_rg

ibz_rg MFK Members

Jul 22, 2014
      Everything sounds good setup-wise. As for fish, I have a Cyano (True Texas) in a 55g and he's an awesome fish. My most prized, to be honest. Maybe consider one of them.

6. geeah

geeah MFK Members

Jan 23, 2014
      thanks for the replys. Almost thinking about going bigger like a 120g I think it is. same length just 2 feet wide. I will probably go with the FX5 and aqueon heater as I love trying new equipment!

I use to have a Carpinte years back and was my fav fish I have ever had. Have not seen them available in my area lately tho. I have a salvini right now in a smaller tank but they seem to be very shy and skittish, maybe that will change when fully grown. Thought about doing a pair but do not want to deal with the aggression, dividing tank if necessary etc. I really want to try one of the guapotes tho if I can find one. Its so hard to make a decision on a single fish/species tank! lol.