New festae addition - will update thread with pics periodically

cichlidsickness

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Ceres, CA
Nice pair and spawn! I really like the black on the female, its like a jet black that really stands out. The male is gorgeous as well.

If I had an office this is what I would put in it as well.

Reactions: RampageRR

RampageRR

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2012
MD/VA/WV
www.youtube.com
Update - fry are about a month old and look to all have survived. They're all over the place now and the pair aren't as touchy with guarding. Colors on the pair are still pretty good, although not so great in this video since I took it immediately after refilling the tank on a water change. The female normally looks a lot more bold than here in the video. I'll try to get a better one not immediately after a water change next time.

I still haven't moved the dithers over from the divided area on the right - I don't plan on it until the fry are out of the tank. I don't trust festae in parental mode not to tear them up in short order. I already had to move my 7" synodontis catfish over to the other side since the male went nuts on it and almost killed him overnight.

RampageRR

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2012
MD/VA/WV
www.youtube.com
Lookin great! Was the male more barred and yellow earlier? The male you sent me got really yellow and black.
He does get barred every once in a while, but he mostly stays a solid yellow/red/pink hue with a greener face. He does look really nice when he gets aggressive though, he's super bright and spangled up.

So I was right when I told you you'd like the one I sent you haha. I thought he'd end up staying barred, which is cool that it worked out that way. They look really cool when both male and female are all barred up for sure.

RampageRR

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2012
MD/VA/WV
www.youtube.com
Lookin great! Was the male more barred and yellow earlier? The male you sent me got really yellow and black.
Speaking of being barred...

I went down to turn off the lights last night, and saw the female sitting in a clay pot which isn't normal for her - she's usually out front and center. I look closely, and there's like 200+ eggs in the pot, on top of the 35 or so babies already swimming around in there from last month.

The male's barred up and yellow right now, snapping at me while I try to take pics. Pretty cool stuff.

Anyone want any festae fry? :)

RampageRR

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2012
MD/VA/WV
www.youtube.com
There's definitely a strong resemblance there! I'm super happy with this pair, and their 2nd batch of fry are now starting to wiggle.

I tried to get some decent pics today, but they mostly turned out grainy. I really need to work with DSLRs more often - I'm still really new to photography.

Male:

Some shots of the roselines I'm growing out to attempt to keep as dithers in this tank. I don't have high hopes of them lasting, but who knows. They're insanely hard to get non-blurry pics of, so I'm kind of happy I got these:

Reactions: Fluidsuit and lyc
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store