New Jag from TUIC

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
somewhere in your town, there's a place that sells stone for landscaping purposes. Big pieces of flagstone, cool looking rounded river stones of various sizes, etc. Landscaping places, horticulture places, they don't sell it they'll know who does.

Stone and rock is expensive for landscaping your yard, but it's cheap to landscape a tank.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
somewhere in your town, there's a place that sells stone for landscaping purposes. Big pieces of flagstone, cool looking rounded river stones of various sizes, etc. Landscaping places, horticulture places, they don't sell it they'll know who does.

Stone and rock is expensive for landscaping your yard, but it's cheap to landscape a tank.

undert0e

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2016
Went with the advice given and picked up two Convicts that are about 1.5" each. Jag is now swimming around the tank and has taken up residence under the large wood decor. I know I will have to relocate the Cons and get a bigger tank, but for the time being everyone seems to be doing good. I still haven't seen the jag eat. Feeding Omega One pellets and FBWs. Thanks again for the help.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I'd give it a few days on him eating. For a fish with such a tough reputation, Jags can be very skittish in new tanks. I think maybe because they're naturally ambush predators, they always think "hide first".

After a few days, maybe a week or so, he'll eat--don't worry about that. I had one for a little while with Vieja, and he ate so much it was a problem. I was overfeeding him to get enough food in the tank to feed all the Vieja.

Jag's got a mouth like a bucket, they'll suck down a handful of pellets like it's nothing. I won't keep 'em with Vieja anymore--too much trouble.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I'd give it a few days on him eating. For a fish with such a tough reputation, Jags can be very skittish in new tanks. I think maybe because they're naturally ambush predators, they always think "hide first".

After a few days, maybe a week or so, he'll eat--don't worry about that. I had one for a little while with Vieja, and he ate so much it was a problem. I was overfeeding him to get enough food in the tank to feed all the Vieja.

Jag's got a mouth like a bucket, they'll suck down a handful of pellets like it's nothing. I won't keep 'em with Vieja anymore--too much trouble.
yea I agree.....my larger "female" Nicaraguan has really taken off lately and I noticed her ballooning up during feeds.....she's also getting quite an attitude w/ previously more dominant fish

MC4RKiller

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
VA
It took my Jag from Rapps over 1 month to take pellets. I was only feeding him enough frozen to keep him going until eventually he gave up and took a few pellets. Following that event I stopped feeding frozen and have only fed pellets since. Be persistent...and decrease frozen to only a couple of times per week....a well fed fish wont try new food.

Reactions: Justin Holland

undert0e

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2016
The Jag is getting brave. He comes out from behind the decor now and has even come up to the glass. I'm truly looking forward to watching him grow. Hopefully he grows into the name we have given him. "El Chapo". Thank you again for all the great feed back.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store