Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

New member- and empty 135 to fill

Discussion in 'Other Characins' started by Gasguzzler, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Gasguzzler

Gasguzzler MFK Members

Jul 3, 2012
      Hey guys and gals, official first post haha. I've been a saltwater predator/reef guy for almost 14 years. I have a 135 sitting around and wanted to go fresh this time. I've had multiple piranhas before and currently. Id really love to dive in with armatus. I've read the sticky regarding their care but any info you guys have about possible tankmate species, specific filtration, substrate and things like that will be very much appreciated. Thanks guys!

2. jelly

jelly MFK Members

Apr 27, 2015
      Unfortunatly a 135 is not suitable for an Armatus. A group of Tats would possably work. What are the dimensions?

3. Gasguzzler

Gasguzzler MFK Members

Jul 3, 2012
      72x18x24

4. DammitKhoa

DammitKhoa MFK Members

Brian
      Apr 10, 2015
      they get to about 24" in captivity so the width is definitely going to be much wider. if you're set on an armatus, perhaps sell the tank and upgrade?

a tat can get up to 18" but i've never seen one get that big in captivity. i've only heard/witnessed a max of 13-14". if you go this route, they can be schooled as long as they're similar sizes

5. Gasguzzler

Gasguzzler MFK Members

Jul 3, 2012
      Yeah I knew they get rather large. I was planning on getting a juvi and moving it into an 8x3 when I take down one of my saltwater tanks. If I go with tats how many is considered safe in a tank my size? Odd number groups?

6. DammitKhoa

DammitKhoa MFK Members

Brian
      Apr 10, 2015
      definitely odd number groups. seeing as i never seen an 18" tat, i supposed you can grow out a school of 3 tats in that footprint

7. Gasguzzler

Gasguzzler MFK Members

Jul 3, 2012
      Cool. I wouldn't do more than 3 anyway. What type of filtration is best? I have canister filters and wet/dry setups. The 2 canisters have spray bars and are rated for 200 gallon tanks. My old saltwater sump is 30 gallons with an 850 gal/hr pump

Sent from my DROID X2 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

8. DammitKhoa

DammitKhoa MFK Members

Brian
      Apr 10, 2015
      the "best" filtration has always been a debatable subject :) i wont get into that. they all have their pros and cons. as for gph, good circulation is recommended to keep them active and on their feet. just make sure you make some dead spots for them to rest.

9. F1 VET

F1 VET THE serrasalmus rhom

Bearded Alan
      Mar 16, 2015
      Bang for buck easily the fx5 imo! Maybe an ac110 as well for backup and a powerhead to keep the ground flowing! Welcome to the FW game!! And id say a shoal of 6-8 rbp would be awesome in that setup!or caribes!!

GL and pics when ur done!

#1 S. Vettel

10. Gasguzzler

Gasguzzler MFK Members

Jul 3, 2012
      Thanks. I have 3 other rbp's in another tank so maybe I'll get some more haha. I'll take and post pics as it progresses.

Sent from my DROID X2 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App