New octopus coming soon!

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Well, fun news - I have found an old bowfront tank with a bunch of equipment, so that's going to be a tank for our current fish (in the 60 gallon fish-only tank). I may make it a macro tank, I may make it a full on reef - I am open to doing either. That's not important right now though.

Anyways, the 60 gallon is now going to be an octopus tank! That is my dream animal, so I am over the moon excited to get an octopus. We have nearly finished cleaning/getting parts for the skimmer, so I think that will be hooked up on Monday. We are also cleaning off all of the equipment that's in the tank, it's covered in algae. That will hopefully be done by Monday as well.

The plan for the octopus is to make the lid first. I'm going to get a few plastic cutting boards and drill some holes in the corner, cut a large rectangular hole in the middle of the two of them, and put some hinges on them. Here's a question - can I use stainless steel parts for this? I am going to use wing nuts on the corners to hold the lid down. The middle section is going to have a piece of glass siliconed to it, I've got a smaller light fixture to hook up to the tank. But now I have a very nice 4 foot light fixture that has to go into storage :(

Filtration will be the protein skimmer, hopefully a UV sterilizer (hoping to find a 36 watt one for cheap here soon), and I really hope a sump. If I do a sump, I need to figure out how to hook up the returns - I m thinking very simple loc-lines, no drilling in the tank, and making sure that the loc-lines are very tightly secured and that they have some tiny holes in them. I'm hoping to get all of those upgrades for around $100, I think it's doable. The lid will probably cost around $40 to make. I also want to do a DIY inline heater, I already have the heater part. I am hoping to do all of this for under $200, including the cost of the octopus.

I also need to get some sand for the tank, or find a good way to crush the coral gravel that's in there now - I can't stand it anymore. I have a sledgehammer lying around, that will probably crush it right? ;)

Anyways, let me know what you think. I will be sure to post some pictures and keep you updated as to when we get our octopus.

Reactions: harris522

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I had a Octopus years ago purchased it from Petland where I once worked and learned a little about keeping saltwater fish. You most definitely want to cross your t's and dot your i's when preparing for this Cephalopod lol . Was a interesting pet for about 6 months.

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
I had a Octopus years ago purchased it from Petland where I once worked and learned a little about keeping saltwater fish. You most definitely want to cross your t's and dot your i's when preparing for this Cephalopod lol . Was a interesting pet for about 6 months.
That seems to be the thing, always keep an eye on the tank. Never leave it alone for long, always give them something to do, and keep the tank locked. I plan on putting fake grass on the inside top of the lid as well.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
That seems to be the thing, always keep an eye on the tank. Never leave it alone for long, always give them something to do, and keep the tank locked. I plan on putting fake grass on the inside top of the lid as well.

I didnt have locks on my lid but made sure any crease or holes were covered. The Octopus was small but it was surprisingly strong lol. I would stick whole shrimp on a wooden skewer for it to grab the shrimp from it. Had a nice piece of dead coral for decoration, the little octopus actually made a lair.

Reactions: Oompa Loompa

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Great advice and I think a nice den or lair is the key in helping the octopus settle in when you bring it home.I have old vhs footage of my octopus hiding in a skull.It would come out,move across the tank to grab food that I dropped in and drag it back across and into the skull.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
They were a little pricey but fed the Octopus live Fiddler crabs in rotation with the shrimp.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
They were a little pricey but fed the Octopus live Fiddler crabs in rotation with the shrimp.
Yes,the main problem I ran up against was getting suitable foods for my octopi.
I had a steady source of crayfish at the time but I learned that they were pretty much the same as giving them feeder goldfish as far as nutrition.Live saltwater crabs,which were at the other end of the nutrition scale were pricey and hard to come by back then.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Yes,the main problem I ran up against was getting suitable foods for my octopi.
I had a steady source of crayfish at the time but I learned that they were pretty much the same as giving them feeder goldfish as far as nutrition.Live saltwater crabs,which were at the other end of the nutrition scale were pricey and hard to come by back then.
Tbh didn't want to worry about the crayfish damaging one of the Octopus tentacles. Octopus was small, now a Pacific Octopus would have thrown Crayfish in without hesitating.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Tbh didn't want to worry about the crayfish damaging one of the Octopus tentacles. Octopus was small, now a Pacific Octopus would have thrown Crayfish in without hesitating.
I had a few Atlantics with golf ball sized heads and they would pounce on the crays like lightening.I even had a blue ring at one time.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I had a few Atlantics with golf ball sized heads and they would pounce on the crays like lightening.I even had a blue ring at one time.

Wow even though Blue rings are beautiful have the upmost respect for the venom they possess.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store