new pup born

Tobias

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2008
Sweden
My Leo/BD just born a single female pup last night. This is the first litter and I have been lucky enough to have seen both when they mated as well as when she delivered the pup last night. I have no experience but the pup looks fat and healthy. When shall I try to start to feed the pup?

Thanks!!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
My word you are one lucky man to have seen the mating and the birth!! You must sleep in front of your tank!
Congrats on the pup looks fat and healthy. Black pups can go as long as 2 weeks before eating but normally eat around day 8 to 10. You are better off seperating the pup to make sure it gets to the food okay.

Tobias

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2008
Sweden
My word you are one lucky man to have seen the mating and the birth!! You must sleep in front of your tank!
Congrats on the pup looks fat and healthy. Black pups can go as long as 2 weeks before eating but normally eat around day 8 to 10. You are better off seperating the pup to make sure it gets to the food okay.
yeah the pup is allready in a other tank on her own. The pic with mom was taken right after she came out. The tank is right in my livingroom so I spend most of the time there when home. Luckly both mating and birth happened during the day!

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Congrats. As above, it may take a week or more before the pup starts to eat.

Daz123

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2015
Congrats
I would start introducing chopped earthworm as I have had pups eating within 4 days

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
Congrats!

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Congrats! I am of the opinion that it doesn't hurt to try feeding. I had one of my 3 take a worm on day 2 actually. Just chop them really small, leave the worms in there for 2 hours, and remove the food. Try that twice a day. I am pretty sure my other two didn't eat consistently until day 13 but they were also born really fat. Just make sure you are removing food, I think the goal is to get them used to a different scent. I was getting concerned about my guys not eating so also broke down and fed some bloodworms, not sure if that helped spark an appetite or not, but if you are really having difficulties after a couple weeks blackworms work wonders as would live ghost shrimp for some instinct action. but those two I would consider worst case. After a couple days of eating worms nicely try busting in some pellets with them and let them soak in water with the worms, got my guys onto pellets quick that way. Not an expert, this just worked for me recently. Feed 4 times a day after theyre eating well if you can.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store